Tell me about Tophats...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Wolfwoman, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    If you breed a Polish to another non crested bird, do the offspring ALWAYS have a crest or not?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Yes and no.

Here is a roo I got from the breeding of a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana X Bearded Buff Laced Polish.

[​IMG]

I have him in with his mama, his half sister (who is all polish) and with a Wheaten Pullet. I'm hoping to make some blue laying polish.

Policaunas as I will call them.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:It depends on the quality of your Polish. If it is from a hatchery, some chances are that its crest is small, and only holds one allele , which allows for the chances of having offspring with another bird to have NO crest. If your Polish is of good quality, then yes, crossbreeding it to create F1 gen offspring will give 100% crested birds, but with small crests as shown in that pic.

I've bred 4 different Polish from hatcheries to an EE before - Of those 4, 3 had 100% crested babies, and 1, who had a naturally smaller crest but still claimed "purebred and showable" by the hatchery, had 0% crested babies.

4. Wolfwoman

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Interesting. I will have to do some experimenting and see what happens [​IMG] If nothing else, I'll have some interesting looking laying birds..lol

5. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    interesting looking layers indeed [​IMG]

i have a polish X production red who is white with a few black speckles and a small tophat, i bred her to an Australorp and got about 50% crested, and i bred her to a polish and got 100% crested.

6. Wolfwoman

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Quote:What type of Polish did you cross the PR with?

7. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    it was a bantam white crested black polish ROO X PR hen [​IMG] here she is with her Australorp daddy babies. Only 4 photographed, 3 have tophats, there were 8 but the other 4 were raccoon food [​IMG] she was almost raccoon food to, i was surprised i was able to nurse her back to health as she had backbones exposed the injury was so severe. she is 5 years old and lays an egg a day [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Wolfwoman

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Very interesting... and she is pretty! Such a light color too... hmm

Boy, am I gonna have fun with this roo...LMAO!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by