Tell me about your roosters! When & "why" do yours crow?? :)

I have two Roosters, each has his own pen of hens. The Barnevelder crows every morning about 5:30-6:00am for 20 minutes. In the other pen I have an Ameraucana Rooster, about 5 months old, that hasn't made a sound. The Rooster before him was a Delaware that started crowing at 2 months and really sounded great, but I wanted Ameraucans so he had to go.

Anyone with Ameraucanas have an idea at what age this Splash roo will sound off?

I had 3 roosters and had to re home one of them because he would crow ALL THE TIME! It wasn't his fault really, we have a VERY irritating mockingbird in the neighborhood that likes to come out in the afternoon and stay awake until about 1 am. As soon as the sun goes down he switches from his song bird noises to his bird of prey noises. I was starting to think he was doing it on purpose just to irritate my rooster. Crowing outside my window at 1am was not gonna work for me. We tried all kinds of things, including putting him in the garage overnight, but it just stressed him and his hens out so we rehomed him. It didnt help that his crow was insanely loud and I was afraid the neighbors were going to complain soon.

I'm down to 2 boys now, a Silkie and a Serama. The silkie has a half crow so all you hear is the "doodle-do" part. I'm not even sure you can register what my serama does as a crow sice it sounds more like a cackle (I posted a thread when he first crowed saying it sounded like a chinchilla barking). They never crowed when the alpha roo was around but now that he's gone their finding their voice more and more. They start about 5 am and crow randomly throughout the day. Usually the serama starts it and the silkie mimics him a bit.

At the moment I have 2 roos. The head roo crows a couple of times at 3-4am (summertime pre-dawn show) and again when the birds start the Dawn Chorus. He's crowed over some useful things... a hen out of the run, the water tipped over, a dog or strange cat in the yard. We sometimes put our cats out on a clothesline run and they don't fret too much about them.

The funniest times are when he feels threatened or wants to assert that he is the master of the domain. We have a local pheasant that will get within a yard of the run and tease him. There are also a pair of quail that come into the yard (I believe she is laying eggs in a tall clump of grass) that set off the younger roo because they pass right in front of his tractor. The invader that made me laugh the hardest was the big, bad, baby bunny. Anytime the neighbor or I mow, Zipper, the head roo, will crow as we finish... getting the last word in. Sometimes he just does it when I've been working out there with them and I head for the house.

ETA: an 'f'

Last edited:
I have porcelain bantam roo that is just about 8 weeks old and has been crowing now for two weeks. Cracks me up the guy is about the size of a pigeon and his crow not very loud at all. He's a cute little fella - about a third of the sze of the standard hens that were born at the same time. I can't wait to see how he handles himself with the full sized ladies once his hormones start kicking into full drive.

My roosters crow when:

a) the sun is shining
b) the sun is not shining
c) it is dry and clear
d) it is rainy and cloudy
e) they are breathing
f) all of the above

Quote:
All of the above, I have 5 roosters. Very different personalities!
hmm.png

Thor is not much of a crower anymore, although when he first matured and had the pullets all to himself he announced his manhood pretty frequently.
Now he crows when:

He first gets up.
When he learns of an early crower in the commercial houses down the road.
When a car drives up.
When the water meter reader comes - goodness but he hates that guy!

Hello,
I had a silkie rooster and when he first started to crow it was at any time of the day. But not in the mornings, which I was glad of. Then one day a week or two later I noticed he did it when the birds in the trees twittered. It was like he was trying to talk with them. Once he had got the hang of crowing it was always just as the sun had come up. But he did crow in the afternoons too, not sure why. I had to get rid of him as the neighbours got fed up of been woke up at 4:30 in the morning.

I have a young Showgirl Silkie who crows a couple times in the morning, only. And his voice
love.gif
-- from the moment he first threw his head back, his voice has been rich and gorgeous. I mean I've heard some hoarse noises coming from Silkies roosters just crowing their brains out -- however, this playboy should star in cereal commercials! I keep him in the garage at night (with a light on a timer synced to the currently day light cycle so I don't mess his brains up). He'll crow once or twice after being released in the late morning, as if to announce himself. He'll sometimes crow if something is amiss. It's just a beautiful voice, I've never loved a crow like I love his crow. He's young, 'though, so I have my fingers crossed that he stays the "strong and silent type" else I have to find him a new home.
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom