Tell me about your roosters! When & "why" do yours crow?? :)

Woofless

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2010
SD
I just heard "Picante" one of my EE roos crow for the first time yesterday!!! I am such a proud rooster mama....and I can't wait for my other 2 (possibly 3
hmm.png
to start). I enjoy the sound, crazy as that may seem to some folks LOL. But I'm way off in the country and my chicken pen is a good ways from the house- so the boys are welcome to make as much ruckus as they please.

I haven't heard him crow at all since he belted out 3 good ones in a row yesterday afternoon. He seemed startled by something when he did it- and then seemed even more startled by the noise he'd just made. LOL.
lol.png

And a few days ago, hubby and I went to a local gamebird farm to pick up some quail, and the guy had several young Silkies running around. They weren't much older than my birds, yet two of his Silkie roos were running around crowing their fool heads off.

It was about 6 in the evening....Hubby was suprised, he said, "I thought roosters only crowed in the morning??" I knew they would crow any time of day....but I got to wondering if maybe our presence had triggered them to start crowing.

And so that got me thinking even more....so I figured I'd post this and see what "habits" everyone else's roos have??

So tell me- do yours crow more at a certain time of day, or are they noisy all day long? Does there seem to be a trigger that'll get your roos crowing, or do they crow for no apparent reason?? Share your roo crowing experiences!!
smile.png

i have 4 that are crowing. one is a cornish who crows constantly ever morning, and a 7 or 8 week old G Seabright bantam that like to echo him, ever since he figured it out 4 days ago(which is the most pathetic thing we have heard), the other 2 are a 5 months old EE and a 3.5 month old LB who are rather quiet. when i get home after work i like to go out a crow at the cornish, and get him riled up, then he starts going crazy, the LB and EE start trying it out and i coach them along, and my uny little guy in the grow out pen throws in his two cents.....and then my wife yells at me for making the chickens loud....

That's a great question! ... And a great name for your rooster
smile.png

My most mellow rooster, a D'Anver, crows a few times when I let him out into the run for the day. He then only crows whenever there's an upsetting noise --like hammering near the run, or a "crotch rocket" motorcycle or a train whistle or ambulance-- and then he crows 8 times or so, then stops. He also crows when one of the hens is really upset.

My most vocal rooster, a cochin, crows whenever he's not getting the main focus of attention. Which is a whole lot. He's a lovely guy, but he's got to be rehomed because we have neighbours who will complain.
My in-between rooster (D'Anver) crows whenever the leader (mellow rooster) crows a lot.

My alpha hen crows when everyone else is crowing a lot also. It's not the best, cleanest crow
roll.png

My RIR roo crows prolly 100 times a day. My neighbors thru the woods have roos and if one of them ever crow we have a crowing battle on our hands. I hear him mostly every night from like midnight to around three. I don't k ow what's makin him that time in the morning. I like to hear roos too. I love to hear one that jus learning.

Well my Brahmas only started to crow when they were about 6 months old. Initially they sounded like a car engine struggling to turn over, but practice makes perfect and practice they most certainly did.......all day and every day from about 3:30 a.m until they eventually went into the coop at night. As soon as one starts, they all start.....if the ladies are around they crow even more. As we live in the country, nobody complains.

As crowing is a territorial and / or a sign of the rooster trying to show his sexual prowess, the more roosters and the more hens that you have, the more they are likely to crow.

Though a lot of folk seem to find crowing irritating, I personally don't. To see the boys with their necks stretched, eyes bulging and breasts swelled out is SO funny. if I am not greatly mistaken I can hear a crowing contest just starting up now.......

Sandie

My main rooster, the oldest, crows every night around midnight (he just did it) regular like clockwork. Dunno why; I can never find anything wrong out there when I go check.

He crows first thing in the morning when the automatic coop door opens and he comes out of the coop. Sometimes he crows just before the door opens.

He crows during the day now and then... sometimes when we/he hears the neighbor roosters "somewhere over there." He also crows whenever I get a phone call on my cell phone in the yard. He crows in the evening before dusk, probably telling the 'hood that he's Head Rooster Around Here And Don't You Forget It.

He crows when I get home from work, too.... until I come out back, as I always do, to give everybody treats and take a head count. (They free range in my back yard, so I just make sure they're all there.)

Now, I also have 3 little roos, literally, who have just started crowing in the past week or so. Two Silver Sebrights and a bantam Buff Brahma. The Sebrights started before the Brahma, and they've now got their crows on real good. Still sound like little guys, though. The Brahma sounds silly; hasn't gotten his crow perfected yet.

None of the Littles crow when Carl crows. Never. They do their crowing only in the afternoon, when they're feeling manly and tough, following their proxy mom around - who is a bantam black Cochin the same age!
lol.png
She's just so fluffy, they have to tuck under her at night.

I have about ummmm 30 roos, maybe. They all compete with each other with the crowing. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I love the crowing so much that my husband actually put one of the coops right under my bedroom window so I can wake up to the crowing!!

They crow to say hello, they crow to let me know there's something going on, they crow when they find something delicious to eat in the weeds, they crow because someone else is crowing, they just crow to crow!

I have a "rat pack" of roosters that hang out all day free ranging. There are 3 Black Mottled Cochin bantam, 4 Black Jersey Giants, 2 Black Rosecomb bantams, 2 Buff lace Polish, 1 Birchen bantam, and 2 large Black Cochin's all roosters that hang out together on my property. It's hilarious to watch them, The Gang, as they forage, keep the peace, roam through the woods, and sometimes wreak havoc.

Good luck with your roos, I love mine!!

Laurie

My barred rock started to crow about 2-3 weeks ago. He started out slowly and sounded like a dieing car horn. Now he's going from 6 am till about 8-9 am . He belts out a few during the day as my neighbor has a english game cock down the road who is within ear shot and he goes all day morning noon and evening . He also belts out during the dusk hours to call his girls back into the coop.

Now I read in a book that chickens have a more keen sense of light then us and are able to see light well before the sun comes up almost an hour before we notice the sun coming up .Thats why roos start crowing so early in the morning .

Our little Sebrights crow for a short amount of time in the mornings. It is usually after we are up and around. I think that they see the lights on in the house and see us moving about. They're not real friendly towards us but they do see us as the treat bearers.

When I was in Ecuador I coined a term for the roosters outside of our compound... "Los gallos del Diablo". The Roosters of the Devil. Night time there was 12 hours and many mornings I would be awake waiting for the sun to come up. At first I thought morning would be close when I'd hear the roosters. Then I came to realize that they crow all night long.

Back
Top Bottom