Tell me the truth am I in the wrong here??

I have WHAT in my yard?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Eggberg, PA
REcently a friend of mine asked me if I wanted her couch. I knew the couch and she knew I was looking for a couch for the basement for the kids. (my basement is not finished I am hopeful, but it isn't finished)

The deal was that we would get the couch and she would have us help her get rid of other items she wanted to have removed for free. SOme of it would be trash and some of it might be good pickings. So we brought our trailer and DH and I hauled it all out.

It filled the whole trailer and the back of our truck! But, it turned out that the couch was in MUCH worse shape than she had indicated. SHe said she didn't want it any more because her puppy had chewed on it some. SOME?? It was seriously chewed up. There is not one cushion that isn't chewed and big chunks are missing. I had thought to throw a cover over it, but it is full of holes!

So now it is sitting in my garage while I decide what to do.

So she asks me if I put it in the garage and I told her no. I said it was in worse shape than I had expected and I wasn't sure we were going to keep it at all. I asked her if she wanted it back. SHe said no and hung up. She just called back and lit into me for leaving the couch where mice and other animals could get at it! Say what?? It is in such bad shape that she gave me two cushions in trash bags! They don't held together on their own they're so chewed up!

Am I within my rights to throw this thing out since I did offer it back and she had said we were helping her "get rid of it"?

ep.gif
Get rid of it. You dont want to keep something in that bad of shape.

she offered it to you for services rendered. you performed the service.
it's yours to do with as you see fit. end of story.

TOSS IT TOSS IT TOSS IT. You don't want your kids playing on that do you? EWWWW...
You did her a favor by dumping crap. If it was so special to her (i.e she cared where you put it?!?!) then she should not have gotten rid of it- ORRRRRRR let her dog chew it to pieces! Sheesh. Just cuz the basement isn't finished doesn't mean you want CRAPPOLA in the house!
I would have done the same thing. YOU are in the right...

send her a note (so you have it is writing ) tell her you love her dearly and appreciate the whole thing but as with somethings in life ..this did not work out for you ..and that you have opted (if she does not want it back) to either try to donate it (and offer her the reciept for taxes) put a free sigh on it and leave it on the curb or haul it to the dump ..buy (insert date) add if "I do not hear from you I am going to assume this is permission"
then thank her

good luck to you I hate stuff like this!!! but if you have it in writing there can not be this "she said she did" crap

one time i stored an antique sofa in my friends garage ..her son blew it up burning tent caterpillers with motor oil ..the kids were fine the sofa and garage were not ...

I was relieved the kids were ok and later when her world calmed down she was talking about an insurance claim to recover the garage and what was in it .. I told her cool if she needed a quote on the sofa I would be happy to give her one from a dealer who had given me a price on it

she never spoke to me again
sad.png

I agree it is yours to do with as you wish. But... how you handle it depends on how much you value this friendship.

Back
Top Bottom