Tell me the truth

Duchesse

Chirping
11 Years
Aug 9, 2008
After reading as much about chickens as I can. I've decided on Wyandottes. Why?

I need a dual purpose chicken that could withstand northern winters, forage, they should be dependable layers, broody and good mothers.

Please tell me if I made a good choice. If not can you give me a better suggestion.

Now my question,

Are the weights mentioned in those catalogs accurate?

They claim these birds can go up to 7 -10 lbs but, in REAL LIFE how much on average will they weigh at their maximum weight?

I'll probably keep about 4 hens as breeders and a rooster.

I don't want them to big at their full weight because I'm scared of big chickens.
hmm.png

I love my wyandottes.
smile.png
I happen to love orpingtons better.
smile.png

If you are getting hatchery birds I would expect them to be on the lighter end of the weight scale.

Chicks from a breeder will be more robust, closer to the Standards of Perfection and more likely to be larger and on the higher end of the weight scale.

My wyandottes weigh in around 8 - 9 pounds or so.

I like them just fine. You will too.

I wanted wyandottes until I read that the feathers around their vents are more likely to get clotted w/ poop and require baths. I dunno about YOU, I have four kids to bathe... I don't wanna be bathing chickens. I did get one gold and one silver and will get a blue laced red if I can find it, since my crafts addicted mother in law and I want the feathers, but the bulk of my chickens will be buckeyes.

Quote:

Hackle feathers are popular for making fly-fishing lures... I think Murray McMurray actually sells an assortment of cockerels just for this purpose...

chicken feathers are used for almost all craft feathers. (as feathers of wild birds are protected as the birds are.)

they are typically battery chicken feathers that are dyed, not pretty natural feathers.
sad.png

edited to include the second line....

Last edited:
Quote:
old.gif
If you are scared of big chickens I would think that you NEED to get sweet chickens.

If you NEED to get sweet chickens, I would HIGHLY recommend you do the extra leg work to find a good small breeder that will ship, or one within driving distance. A good small breeder will be clear and upfront about what they are breeding for (show, eggs, meat, or personality). *YOU* in turn can make it clear that you need super sweet birds and they can pick out which birds are most likely to be sweet.

Hatchery birds (nothing wrong with them, I have hatchery birds), are a bit of a mixed bag. So even a breed that is known for being nice can have some pretty nasty individuals, and from a big hatchery, you really have no idea what you are getting.

I want bantams because my needs a few and I have limited space. I also like yellow chickens.

Can you tell me what breeds do well in cold weather? I've heard the RIR, New Hamp, and Wyandotte.

Any suggestions for a newbie who is chicken of chickens?

I'm looking for the friendliest breed that all of you can think of that will live in NYC in the winter, breed, lay, and the rooster will not crow too loud.
roll.png
Yeah, I wish.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom