Tell me what is wrong with this picture

Blue_Myst

Songster
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
There is snow falling outside, a cold, cold wind blowing, the trees are laden with ice, snow is piled deep enough that a path needs to be shoveled to the coop, the chickens are restless from being inside for so long, and, lastly, two hormonal broody hens on the favorite nests
barnie.gif

This is not what I had expected, two hens wanting to be mommas in the middle (well, not even the middle, the beginning!) of a frozen February. These two hens are around six years old . . . maybe their broody-clock went bonkers.

Ah well, at least the eggs will stay warm until I can collect them!

Anyone else got some early broodies?

LOL.

I don't think my early broody counts, because it's been above freezing here! But my little silkie girl has been setting on 4 eggs for a week already. She usually hatches me about 5 batches a year. She's awesome!!
thumbsup.gif

Yes, I have two crazy mama's too! Why on earth would they want to have chicks now in this weather? If they did would the chicks be able to survive?

These hens go broody each 1-3 times a year, and it's usually one AND the other, so I guess this shouldn't surprise me. I agree, I don't know why they went broody right now--the poor chicks wouldn't stand a chance. Maybe it has something to do with the coop light I have on . . .?

Well, we did have a banty that hatched 5 babies 2 weeks ago. We didn't even know she was on eggs. Unfortunately none of them survived.

I'm very sorry to hear that.
sad.png
It is not a good time for chicks, no matter where you are in North America.

No early broodies here -- Thank goodness

Wanna trade?
big_smile.png

Every winter I have broodies. I take it as a sign that my birds are happy and I keep them well fed.
idunno.gif

I have a bantam RIR/Rosecomb cross who is just getting back to laying after raising two thru Dec. and another with eggs pipping today
big_smile.png

Mine brood in negative temps and do not have heat or a light in their coop. Chicks stay with mom, who goes outside with them. I am just careful to be sure and keep them all well fed and watered.

Back
Top Bottom