Ended Tell Us Your Funniest Chicken Story to Win Six Bags of Feed from Nutrena!

A few years ago, I started my flock with two ducks and 6 chickens. The ducks were already laying eggs everywhere. One of my little bantam hens was very broody. She would sit on golf balls, rocks or anything round she could fit on. None of the chickens were laying yet. Unfortunately predators found my ducks soon thereafter. I got the bright idea to stick a few of those duck eggs under that hen. Well bless her heart, she faithfully sat there and incubated those eggs and wouldn't you know it, I had 3 little ducklings following that mama bantam everywhere she went. When they were about 2 weeks old, mama bantam took them to close to the pond and they discovered water. All 3 immediately jumped in and started swimming in circles. Mama bantam frantically ran back and forth clucking desperately to her babies. They just kept swimming. She decided to jump in to rescue her babies. She went under but managed to find the edge of the pond and pull herself out. She almost drowned but it didn't stop her from jumping in over and over trying to reach her babies now slowly swimming around calling to her. I finally took pity on her and ran back to the house and got the pool skimmer. I returned to the pond and swept the babies up and pulled her out. She gave those babies an earful all the way back to the hen house. Of course the next day, they headed right back to the pond. She never did learn to swim but she sat in the grass beside the pond and kept an eye on her babies even after they were 3 times the size of her.

Have you ever met a chicken who's heart's desire is to be a duck?

Well, meet Relyt, a most special chicken. I incubated a clutch of Polish to sell and at the end of the hatch one egg was left pipped for the longest time. I decided to go to bed and hope for the best in the morning, but was not hopeful.

Happily, the next morning she had hatched and was already fluffy. Then came the confession. During the night, my insomniac husband, who claims (claimed) to have no interest in chickens had taken it upon himself to assist her hatch, which I had discouraged when he had hinted at it. He told me he was only confessing because she lived, and the kicker? Mr. "I'm not interested in chickens" asked me not to sell her and that he'd already given her a name.

All the siblings were sold in due time and right when we were down to just Relyt, we acquired ten adorable black Indian Runner ducklings.

From the day the ducklings were ready to be out in the yard Relyt has never wanted a thing to do with being a chicken. She follows her ducks everywhere, inseparable, except at night when the ducks draw the line. They will NOT tolerate her in the duck house at night, so Relyt is a duck by day, a chicken by night.

Relyt

Relyt and her ducks

Last edited:
sorry this about turkeys we got 12 turkeys when we first started our neighbor said he would make it so they did not fly away well he trimmed both sides of the wings and the next morning the turkeys were all gone they flew the coup so to speak we never saw them again but could hear the gobbles so there are some wild tame turkeys between west plains and ava mo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went outside -- and counted my chickens and noticed that Brownie, my favorite hen, was missing. If I bend down, she flys up on my back, stands on my shoulders and cleans my hair. So I'm calling her, and looking for her -- and it occurred to me to check in the coop. I open the brood box door, and there she is rearranging the nesting material and looking all fussy. So, since they're just over 5 months old, I'm like -- great, she's gonna lay an egg...

I'm standing near the coop, and she finally settles down -- I'm watching her tail end through a coop window hoping to see the action. Then I had to cough! I couldn't help it! So I cough -- and BZING! Suddenly Brownie is all the way across the coop; It's like she teleported! I scared the bejeeezus out of her! She comes downstairs and wanders around outside the coop, and she leads me all through the yard, apologizing to her. I left her alone, and I watched from a distance as she finally went back inside.

Checked in later: Today was Brownie's first egg! :)

A few years ago, I started my flock with two ducks and 6 chickens.  The ducks were already laying eggs everywhere.  One of my little bantam hens was very broody.  She would sit on golf balls, rocks or anything round she could fit on.  None of the chickens were laying yet.  Unfortunately predators found my ducks soon thereafter.  I got the bright idea to stick a few of those duck eggs under that hen.  Well bless her heart, she faithfully sat there and incubated those eggs and wouldn't you know it, I had 3 little ducklings following that mama bantam everywhere she went.  When they were about 2 weeks old, mama bantam took them to close to the pond and they discovered water.  All 3 immediately jumped in and started swimming in circles.  Mama bantam frantically ran back and forth clucking desperately to her babies.  They just kept swimming. She decided to jump in to rescue her babies.  She went under but managed to find the edge of the pond and pull herself out.  She almost drowned but it didn't stop her from jumping in over and over trying to reach her babies now slowly swimming around calling to her.  I finally took pity on her and ran back to the house and got the pool skimmer. I returned to the pond and swept the babies up and pulled her out.  She gave those babies an earful all the way back to the hen house.  Of course the next day, they headed right back to the pond.  She never did learn to swim but she sat in the grass beside the pond and kept an eye on her babies even after they were 3 times the size of her.

AWWWWWWWW not so much funny though I bet it made you laugh your butt at the time, but just awwwww adorable story, the mama who couldn't swim....love it........Kim

When our daughter was four, my husband announced she was old enough to have her own chickens. I wasn't so sure but I wanted a flock so we went ahead. She loved the chickens so much they became her favorite playmates. one day I looked out the back door to see her swinging a chicken in her baby swing. The chicken had fallen asleep and, as my little girl said, "Swing your chickens everyday so they're happy and make good eggs!"

My family adopted our friends rooster. He was sold to them as a female chick, but ended up a big, beautiful Buff Orpington. As he got bigger he became territorial and eventually he attacked my friend! They had 5 chickens that we free range in about an acre of yard and they all hovered by the front porch. When he attacked our friend her daughter grabbed a broom and pushed the rooster away. She called her husband to let him know if he didn't find that guy a home tonight he would be dinner the next! We have about 20 chickens and about 4 acres that they wander. He called my husband and explained the problem so we said to bring him over, we were hoping with more space he would get him a few girls and be nice. We brought him in that night and showed the kids and said he was mean, our friend has scars from her encounter. So a few days later my 5 year old comes in hugging that big ol rooster and tells me how nice he is. He looked pitiful. Within a week he has been named "Scaredy Roost". He was the biggest guy in the coop, but he wouldn't mess with the other 3 roosters. He hung out with our goose for a few months until one of our ducks went broody, then he sat on her nest when she was out, sometimes she had to kick him out of there! Hopefully someday he figures out he is a chicken and fertilizes some eggs. Time will tell...

My spoiled feathered gals were grazing around in our backyard one sunny afternoon. When it was time to put them back in their coop, I found that one was missing. I checked all the usual spots- made sure she wasn't hiding in a nest box, or already in the hen house. Looked all around the yard calling her and trying to lure her out with cracked corn (my girls act like cracked corn is candy). Could not find her. Now I am getting worried, enlist my daughters in the search.
Walk into my basement and notice chicken poop on my carpet! Ah ha, I think. Look all over my basement for lil Miss Tiana, still can't find her!
Suddenly I hear a chirp. And there she is sitting cozy as you please on top of the toy chest among the stuffed animals! She decided the doll blanket was a fabulous place to lay her egg!

What a silly chicken!

Last edited:
When our daughter was four, my husband announced she was old enough to have her own chickens. I wasn't so sure but I wanted a flock so we went ahead. She loved the chickens so much they became her favorite playmates. one day I looked out the back door to see her swinging a chicken in her baby swing. The chicken had fallen asleep and, as my little girl said, "Swing your chickens everyday so they're happy and make good eggs!"

Gotta love kid logic! :)

My funniest chicken story: 2 months ago I purchased 10 New Hamshire Red chickens at 14 weeks old. All the chickens settled down into a routine except one, "Screamer". This particular chicken always screams when I am around then frantically runs as fast as she can in the opposite direction of me, still screaming. If I walk into the coop, "Screamer" starts screaming and runs frantically looking for the little coop door out of there, still screaming. The minute she sees me, whether the coop, run, or yard, she screams and frantically runs away. My grandson said she is screaming: "The giant is coming...run for your lives !!!!!! This frantic running and screaming continued for nearly 2 months anytime I was in the yard, run, or coop. Well, just a few weeks ago, I did not hear her screaming, was she dead?? I looked around and she was nowhere to be found. Now I am frantically looking for her ! I was walking really fast and as I took a few steps backwards to recheck the areas, I stepped on a foot and heard a squeek, I looked down, and at my feet was "Screamer". I bent down thinking she was injured and as I moved my hand to her back, low and behold, "Screamer" did the egg squat and let me pat her back. She looked up at me, fluffed her feathers, and walked away. Today, since becoming a motherhen she no longer screams and runs away. "Screamer walks up to me, egg squats, and I pat her back telling her she is a good girl. Her new name is Precious.

Back
Top Bottom