Ended Tell Us Your Funniest Chicken Story to Win Six Bags of Feed from Nutrena!

I never wanted a rooster. Not this time. I wasn't interested in breeding. Didn't want to hear the incessant crowing. Didn't want to watch my back every time I walked in the coop. So when I noticed two chicks developing combs I was dismayed to say the least. I had ordered all pullets. All kinds of angry thoughts coursed through my mind when I saw those small pink combs bobbing about my small flock.

The hubby talked me into keeping one rooster, so I had to choose between the two. As time passed, I watched the two. The smaller cockerel was a better looking rooster, and had nice temperament. The larger one was....well....just plain ugly from my point of view. Yet, this ugly guy seemed content to be the second in command and always walked about in his stately way. Little Joe was the smaller cockerel, Stan was the larger bird. The big guy was a talker and while he never crowed, he liked to talk to the ladies. His wing dance was not impressive as he tripped over his wings most of the time. Occasionally he'd knock over the pullet he was trying to impress.

On the other hand, Little Joe was a dancer. He had the smooth moves that impressed all the girls. He'd scrape his wings across the ground and all the pullets would gather around. One day he grabbed a hen in an attempt to mate. She resisted so Little Joe grabbed her head and dragged her around. I didn't like this. No, I didn't. But I understood chicken behavior and kept a low profile.

As time passed, Little Joe caught my eye more than once with his mating technique. While he had a mighty fancy wing dance, his dragging-by-the-head mating was terrorizing the girls. Stan never interfered as he knew his position among the flock. He'd simply walk among the flock, his calm manner soothing the just traumatized pullet.

Finally, I tired of Little Joe's brutal mating manners, and gave him to a man down the road. So Stan became the cockerel of the flock. At first, he seemed unaware, or maybe he was being cautious. Holding his head high, he continued his stately walks among the pullets. Occasionally he chat up a pullet with a tiny morsel of food, then assume his role as flock protector. He walked with head high and eyes watching the sky.

By the next morning, Stan grew braver. He chatted up several girls and attempted a wing dance which resulted with him knocking over several pullets. He fanned his tail to show the girls how fine his feathers were. He raised his wings to display his massive chest. I had to admit Stan was a fine looking cockerel. While he was not going to win at any show, he definitely had presence.

And he had personality. If his chattiness couldn't attract a gal, he rub his wattles along the ground. Of course something red being dragged across the ground made all the girls run to him. Then he'd attempt a wing dance with the usual results of knocking them down like bowling pins.

Stan did not give up though. Tired of failing at the wing dance, he developed his own style of dance. I discovered this one day while weeding a nearby flower bed. I saw a small dust cloud rising in the pen and wondered what was going on. The coop was oddly silent as I snuck in for a closer view. What a sight I saw.

Circled by his hens, Stan was dancing. He kicked his feet out one way, then another way. His head waved back and forth, and for a moment I thought he was having a seizure. He grabbed a twig of hay and waved it about. Then he did this little hopping dance only to kick his feet out to the side. Then he bowed his head and spread his tail only to hop about and kick his feet to the side as he waved his sprig of hay over his head.

Several pullets were so impressed they squatted right there and then.

Thus, Stan became THE MAN.

A couple of years ago, my son had a birthday party in the evening with boys and girls. They were all in Matt's room playing truth or dare. It was Shannon's turn. Shannon is originally from France and has only been in the U.S. for 2 years. She chose dare. Matt dared her to go out to his chicken coop in the dark and sit with the chickens in the coop for 1 minute. She accepted the dare and off she went into the dark back yard to the coop. Matt followed her to make sure she actually did the dare. She opened the coop and went in. About 15 seconds later, she screamed. She had bent down to feel where the chickens were and ended up sitting next to a dead chicken. Matt opened the coop and yes, one of our white rocks was dead. Shannon was screaming down the back yard to the laughter of ten thirteen year olds. They are all 15 now and they are still talking about that dare!

One day I went down to the coop to sit. I simply pulled up a chair and watched my beautiful chickens. After about 20 minutes, they stopped caring about me and continued doing whatever they were before I showed up. Right away I noticed this little black hen. (She was the favorite of the rooster so her back was bare) She was walking around the coop picking up feathers and placing them on her bare back. It didn’t matter what color they were, she wanted them. With black, blue, white, partridge, and buff, she had a back of many colors. She continued to do this for quite some time, though it came to a point where every time she added a feather, another would fall off. She was trying to replace her missing feathers with the feathers that she found around the coop. I wish I would have gotten a video of her doing it as it was very sweet yet so funny.

1 year later, she isn’t the rooster’s favorite anymore so she now has her own beautiful black feathers growing from her back.

I grew up raising exhibition poultry in NY state and so when my husband and I were looking to purchase a house here in NC, my one stipulation was that I had to be able to have chickens, or no deal. We found a lovely house out in the country, on an acre and I promptly ordered my first 6 chickens from the local feed store. They were 3 buff orpingtons-ish and three (as my feed store lady calls them) aracoonas which are really green legged easter eggers.

I had a coop for them, but because they were little ones, I decided to keep them in my old rat cage. I used to have some house rats (pretty ones that I purchased from a breeder because they have great personalities and I have a cat allergy). The rats had this huge cage that my husband the carpenter made for them when they couldn't be running around the house performing essential tasks like cleaning crumbs up off of the kitchen floor, rending wayward palmetto bugs and severing those pesky phone cords (remember when phones had cords) and interminable cable wires.

But I digress. Anyway. I put the baby chicks in the rat cage (rats only have a three year warranty and mine had run out about a year before this). Everything was fine, they were just about fully feathered and ready to go into their big coop. I went out one morning and one of the girls had some feathers and dirt stuck to her head with what looked like some kind of dried up, crusty goop.
Well, the goop turned out to be blood and the source of the blood turned out to be this huge, wedge-shaped wound on her head. The flap was about 2.5 inches long and maybe half as wide, coming to a blunt taper (remember this shape as a visualization of it will be essential to appreciating the punch-line). She had found a spot where the hardware cloth was coming away from the cage, she must have stuck her head through and had the prickly edges of the wire tear her skin.

Luckily, I have owned chickens for over 20 years and horses for a bit longer, I have been a veterinary assistant and am now a vet tech. I was all over this. I clipped the area free of feathers, I flushed the wound out with sterile saline, I debrided, I even flushed out the area under the skin, between the fascia and the muscle with chlorhexidine. Then I dressed the wound with wonder dust and put the chicken (I don't name my chickens because when I name them they die. Its okay if I get a chicken that already comes with a name. Sometimes I name the ones I hate because I hope something will happen to him, because its usually a really mean rooster, but nothing ever happens to those chickens). Bacteria stood no chance in this wound. I debrided and flushed and dressed every day, twice a day.

The wound healed really well, a little too well. It was a bit too late when I realized the mistake I had made. I should have removed the flap. New skin and even new feathers grew in over the wound leaving the flap (here's where you visualize the shape and size of that flap) standing straight up on her head. You should have seen the look on the other chickens faces when I first let her back out with them. Luckily, her experience had toughened her and nobody was about to pick on her with that attitude. Feathers grew in on both sides of the flap and it continued to stand straight up on her head until I got a new dog from the humane society (an American Staff and Chocolate Lab mix) and he took her out before I had a chance to put the shock collar on him. I had named her Saucy.

I have a couple stories so im gonna post but i think this one is the funniest...

when i get home from work its a always that as soon as the animals see my car they start running for the barn..since i stop and give them some treats everyday...i have 2 ducks(shitz n gigglez),6 chickens,2roosters,a dog,and a horse...i always let the horse over in the other pasture first...so then i go into the barn...with them all behind me..lol...and bring out some snacks...i poured the snacks on the ground...they all start to come around and eat...of course the ducks r bullies..my female duck is protective of her man and goes after the roosters every chance she gets...and the roosters run from her..so this day after i got them all fed..i went back into the barn to put the scoop away and came back out to ....no other then my rooster...big foot....attached to the front of our ducks chest..roflmao..it was the funniest thing ever...the poor duck was wiggling around..and finally the rooster left her go...then he walked around with his chest as big as ever..like...NOW WHO'S THE BOSS...LOL... THATS MY STORY AND IM STICKING TO IT!!! :)

Another little story for u all....my nephew was at my house over the weekend and was in the kids room hanging out...we leave our front door open most of the time...we dont have a screen door...me and my fiance was outside doing work...when i went back up to the house my nephew informed me that one of the chickens were in the house..i was like how do u know...and he said that it was in my sons bedroom(not the one he was in) and he looked out into the living room to see a chicken running from the bedroom and it started flying and flew out the front door...Guess when he went into the bedroom to take a nap he didnt like the fact that there was a big CAT laying there too..so the cat chased his butt out of there..lol...

39 acres of land and the chickens choose to come into the house and hang out..such nosey little buggers....

We used to have a RIR Roo, named Colonel,who became quite aggressive. Why I used the term "used to have". He used to "flog" anyone he came in contact with, which made it diificult for our children to play outside. My husband and I would kind of "punt" him in the chest with the flat part of our foot when he tried to flog us, the kids were just too scared to do this. Our son, Wesley, sweared the Colonel was out to get him. I never believed it until one day Wes was waiting by our front door for a friends mom to pick him up. The Colonel stood outside our door, standing to the side, eyeballing Wes. When the mom showed up, I told Wes you're going to have to just face him one day, I'm right here, go ahead and go out the door. Wes did, hesitantly, and kinda creeped past the Colonel for about ten feet. Then all of a sudden that roo was hot on his heels! He chased Wes through our yard, up a hill and down the street! I wish I had it on film because it was worth money to see this! The mom who was picking him up even backed out of our driveway to watch this roo chase Wes down the street. All that came to mind was "feet don't fail me now"! Wes was finally able to jump into the car and avoid the Colonel's wrath! Wes is now a track star in high school and can't help but wonder if the Colonel had anything to do with his speed!

I began a new flock of 10 chicks and 3 ducks to add to my older flock of 3 girls in about March. When they became adolescents, we let them outside with our older girls. One day in June or July, I was out in our chicken run petting my chickens. I have this really sweet and tough Barred Plymouth Rock named Merriweather. As I was putting one of our ducks down after petting her (I bent over), I heard one of my chickens flapping their wings and felt something land on my back. It was my sweet little Merriweather saying hello to me! She loved being up there, and hopped down after a couple minutes. To this day, whenever she's nearby and notices that I'm bent over, she'll still hop up on my back.
D.gif

So it all started when we got chickens this year and we picked up some EE hens. My grandaughter was so excited (she is 4) about getting them and I was explaining to her they were called Easter Eggers because they lay colored eggs. Everytime she would come over she would run out to the coop to see if there were any colored eggs and was really disappointed when there were none in the nesting box because they hadn't started laying yet. I kept telling her that it was going to be soon and we would have colored eggs. Well one day when she came over out to the coop she went and was yelling we got easter eggs we got easter eggs! By the time I got there it was to late LOL she had cracked every blue egg open and was just standing there looking disappointed. I asked her why she had cracked the eggs open and her reply "Because they are Easter Egg chickens and I have been waiting for the candy inside" OMG I about fell over laughing. Needless to say it was something I will remember forever.

As a long time animal lover and former Vet Tech, I thought I'd seen it all! I had been discussing keeping chickens with a co-worker who is very much a victim of 'chicken math' as ya'll call it! He decided to share his good fortune. Suddenly, in addition to my 4 German Shepherds (GSD), I became a first time Mama to 10 SLW and 5 EE chicks that were a surprise gift to me three weeks ago. I raced home to put together an incubator from what I could find. At work I found a large box, approximately 3 ft x 4 ft and 2 ft tall and scraped together enough change for feeders, lights, and bedding. My 2 step - daughters and niece helped me get everything set up and heated up to a good temp . As we were putting the 'new babies' into their temporary home (which is in my dining room!), my 11 year old GSD kept trying to lick them! The girls and I left the chicks to settle in, and went outside to figure out where we are going to put a coop that won't offend any of our "city-fied" neighbors. After finding a good spot and taking measurements to start planning, we headed back in. We gathered up the dogs, who were playing chase in the field next door. Realizing I was missing one, I started to panic! My "old woman" was missing! The girls took off running in different directions calling for her, thinking maybe she had just wandered off. I ran inside to get car keys. Remembering that I had set them on the table while I was emptying my hands of the newly acquired "chicken goodies," I walked straight to the dining room. I glanced over the edge of the incubator to check on the chicks, and found the most amazing thing - a German Shepherd "nursing" chickens! Wulfe had managed to get into the incubator without hurting any of the chicks and laid down so they could cuddle up to her! I wish I had been able to get a picture. Most had piled up against her stomach, one was between her back legs, and there was an EE sleeping so hard it looked 'dead' lying across her neck. To this day, she checks the chickens before she will even consider going outside! (needless to say, the incubator is now covered and "dog proof")

Driving down our street this morning and whom is walking down the street? Anna and Adaline!! I pulled over, scooped them up, drove home, opened the back gate, and who is already in the backyard? Anna and Adaline!! I looked down at the chickens under each of my arms and asked them what their names were...

; ) True Story.

Anna is our Marans and Adaline is our Golden Comet/Star.

Back
Top Bottom