Telling the Gender of Barred Rock Chicks

Nope. A sharp defined white spot on the back of the head, along with black splash down the front of the legs is a girl. Fuzzy big white spot on the head with no real definate black splash or really light is a boy.

Now, having said that, I still have pictures I'm going to post to get Speckledhens opinion.
big_smile.png

Wait about four weeks on the RIR's then look at the legs-cockerels have thicker legs and the comb and wattles start to get larger than the girls. I have a good comparison pic of two that I hatched, brother and sister at four weeks, if you'd like to see it, but I don't want to horn in on Sunchick's BR thread.

I am not trying to dispute this subject, I will just comment on mine...all my girl barred rock chicks had a black head...all my boys had some white fuzz on their heads. All my girls are darker in over all color and the boys are lighter. It could be different with different breeding lines of barred rocks.

smile.png

Here are chicks from my own stock, to show what they're talking about. Even though the spot may be tiny, there should still be one 99% of the time. Yes, boys are lighter. :

Cockerel

DCP_6659.jpg

Pullet

DCP_6926.jpg

This pic shows boy at bottom of pic and girl by the screen door:

DCP_6970.jpg

Looks like it to me, Jay. Remember, though, that the sexing is not 100%. My Lexie had a huge, splotchy headspot, lighter legs than the others and lighter color overall, so she was completely opposite to every BR pullet I've ever had since.

Back
Top Bottom