Telling the Gender of Barred Rock Chicks

Quote:
Yes, please, I'd love to see it! Sorry for threadjack...
smile.png

This is line dependant in the Barred Rocks. The line I had it never worked out much better than flipping a coin. They were fantastic birds all grown up, but telling them appart at chicks was impossible. They could have any amount of white or darkening on the legs and be either sex.

I think at one time it was bred for, the ability to sex them as chicks, and we have not been keeping it up since vent sexing has taken over.

Thanks, all....I believe though I am new I got this BR pegged as a boy. But I can't prove it yet. We named him/her Poe, just in case.

Also, thanks for RIR comments in here since my others are RIR's, they are Alice and Aurora.

I just picked up my last, Stella, a Gold Laced Wyandotte, I noticed she has a very special, songbird-like cheep and very calm:

33741_stella.jpg

still waiting for the little ladies to start laying...but come spring i want to hatch some of my BR's eggs. glad i found this!
big_smile.png

Just bought four more barred rocks for my flock just found out today the lady sex’s them at 1 to 3 days old. She said the females are darker then the males even that young. She looks at the little feathers under the wings I guess the darker the chicks feathers it’s a female. So when I got home I looked at my own that I had bought from a chicken fair 5 weeks ago and sure enough the darker ones turned out to be females and the lighter ones are male.

Back
Top Bottom