telling them apart?

quackinhuggable

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 23, 2012
daft question time again....
when you first get your ducklings and they look identical how on earth do you tell them one from the other?
could i put a lil bow on them or something??

Seventeen nine week old chicks and the only one we can tell apart is "Jeffry" (my son named him) and that is because his comb is big and red. Leg bands maybe? I joked about a dot of nail polish with a corresponding chart...but I don't have 17 different colors!

I agree on waiting and letting their personalities come out. At the same time, by the age of three months, I still had some identical runners with similar personalities, so I used Velcro Wraps, loose enough and trimmed to fit. After just over two years, only one has come off, and Zehn has such an outstanding personality, and now everyone has their own snow pattern, so I don't need them any more.

Oh, and soft side in, against the leg. Not the scratchy stuff. They come in at least five colors.

thanks for the tips guys. i was only joking about the bow!! but if i cant tell them apart i cant name them!and i thought you were supposed to get them used to you and names etc very early on if i waited i wouldnt know who was who if that makes sense or have i been mis-informed?do ducks get used to names?i have done lots of research on what breed suits me best and that kind of thing but seem to keep thinking of silly things and worrying.i just want to do it all right and be responsible owner.
the velcro wraps seems a good idea though!!

I made a list of names for the Mallards and waited until they grew feathers and noticed differences in them. Even though theyall have names , only Po (pekin) and Shifu (jumbo pekin/rouen) are actually called by their name. With the others I only use their names to distinguish between them in photos so DD and I know which duck we're talking about.

Back
Top Bottom