Telling your chickens apart😂

Sara S

Crossing the Road
May 13, 2020
FL
Anyone else hate how people are like “you probably change the name everytime” when you have 2+ of the same looking chicken. My brother does that. Like you don’t see the different looks, feather patterns, her face shape, the size, one wing is darker than the other, the eggs are one shade darker ths. Each other? Like pay attention 🙄😂😂 how do you tell apart your chickens?

Pippin and fries are both white silkie hens. Same age, size, and colour.
I can tell them apart by any feature, feet, crest, tail, etc without even looking at their leg bands (leg bands are there for my mum to tell them apart)
IMG-20210403-WA0017~2.jpg

Fries & Pippin

I had 3 sets of basically "twins". Usually look for subtle differences. Maybe bigger, sound different, slightly different coloring or variations of feather pattern. I even figured out whose egg is which. Even with that it's not guaranteed.
Yea, mines have size differences and always look different even in the same breed with pretty small but significant differences.

Pippin and fries are both white silkie hens. Same age, size, and colour.
I can tell them apart by any feature, feet, crest, tail, etc without even looking at their leg bands (leg bands are there for my mum to tell them apart)
View attachment 2965494
Fries & Pippin
Apart from them, everyones quite different. Apart from...
Vision and Wanda are both white and grey cochin chicks but wanda has black hackles and Vision has a head spot.
Nutmeg and Peanut look similar but nutmeg's comb is bigger

My 3 Barred Rocks have personality differences. Basil has the smallest earlobes and is super friendly so she will immediately jump on my lap. She’s the easiest to tell. Penelope & Macaroni are basically identical, except Macaroni follows Basil around, and Penelope is grouchy. So I have to watch them to see who is who. Lol

My 3 Black Australorps I cannot tell apart anymore. When they were younger, they had different beak markings. One day I went out and the markings were all the same. It’s been to cold to stare at them trying to find subtleties, so when it gets warmer I will go out and rename them their old names…

I feel so bad, I can’t find ANYTHING different!

This year’s order the most we got of any breed is 2. The rest are singletons, just for this very reason. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom