temminck tragopan pen plans

northdakotaoutfitting.com

Songster
8 Years
Sep 22, 2011
I’m thinking of raising Temminck Tragopan Pheasants and was wondering what size of pen to have them in? I was going to build a shelter for them 8 x 8 but just would like to see if that would be a good size. How many could I have in that size? Two or three hens and 1 cock?

When you say 8 x 8, do mean just a shelter or are you including that area as the run area, too? The total enclosure area?
If you are than that isn't big enough for 1 bird.
Most galliformes need a lot of room/area, sq. footage to be content, with lots of hiding spots, perches, logs, stumps, shrubs, grasses, etc.
An enclosure of 300 sq.ft. would be a minimum to comfortably raise a pair of Tragopans, IMO
Others may chime in and give additional advice. Calling @Tony K T

Ok, just wasn't too sure. That would be fine for a sheltered area. I would also make it high enough to walk into, makes things alot easyer to manage without ducking/hunching over to feed, water etc. Include nesting boxes or areas to nest. I'm assuming (and you know what that makes outta you and me) your in North Dakota? The main thing to worry about will be drafts and if a lot of rain, muddy conditions. Also, snowfall accumulation on the enclosure wire or netting, this will determine the building/construction materials you use. So your location will determine to some extent how you build your enclosure.
Tragopans can handle cold weather better than hot.
With pheasants and other gamebirds, bigger is better, if you have the space to build large enclosures.
I'm in South Texas, here's some pic's of one of my enclosures that I raise pheasants. The total enclosure measures 30' x 40' x 6', sheltered area is 12' in depth and 8' in heigth. There are 8 pens total, 5' in width. The sheltered area is to the North.
4b7c1fa9_image3A4667.jpeg
42044c3b_image3A4662.jpeg

HTH

Ok, just wasn't too sure. That would be fine for a sheltered area. I would also make it high enough to walk into, makes things alot easyer to manage without ducking/hunching over to feed, water etc. Include nesting boxes or areas to nest. I'm assuming (and you know what that makes outta you and me) your in North Dakota? The main thing to worry about will be drafts and if a lot of rain, muddy conditions. Also, snowfall accumulation on the enclosure wire or netting, this will determine the building/construction materials you use. So your location will determine to some extent how you build your enclosure.
Tragopans can handle cold weather better than hot.
With pheasants and other gamebirds, bigger is better, if you have the space to build large enclosures.
I'm in South Texas, here's some pic's of one of my enclosures that I raise pheasants. The total enclosure measures 30' x 40' x 6', sheltered area is 12' in depth and 8' in heigth. There are 8 pens total, 5' in width. The sheltered area is to the North.
View attachment 1288352 View attachment 1288354
HTH
I was going to make it 8 feet high in the front and 6 feet high in the back for the slope. I was going to put a walk-in door on it so I can close it in the winter time and I would have a small door for them to get out when they want to. I don’t have a whole lot of space right now. I was going to put them in my shelter belt behind My garage and I suppose it is 40 feet wide at the most and a couple hundred feet long and I can actually drive down the middle of it so that is why I was going to put it in the middle of the Shelter belt it’s pretty open

I like putting a pitched roof as I use the bottom of the pitch for their perch.My breeders seem to do good with the 6x12 and 8x16 pens.But bigger is always better if you have the space.Both set and hatch,but I would rather run 2 pairs then a trio,this way you can raise unrelated birds.The pic is an example of the pitch being used as a perch.I build a 2' knee wall to attach the pitch to and that is their perch.And the best part is they are 100% under the roof,absolutely no drafts blow straight on them.One more trick I learned over the years is to have your door 1' off the ground so if the snow freezes you can still open the door with no problems.
In N.H.,Tony.

Attachments

• 100_1508.JPG
    100_1508.JPG
    283 KB · Views: 40
I like putting a pitched roof as I use the bottom of the pitch for their perch.My breeders seem to do good with the 6x12 and 8x16 pens.But bigger is always better if you have the space.Both set and hatch,but I would rather run 2 pairs then a trio,this way you can raise unrelated birds.The pic is an example of the pitch being used as a perch.I build a 2' knee wall to attach the pitch to and that is their perch.And the best part is they are 100% under the roof,absolutely no drafts blow straight on them.One more trick I learned over the years is to have your door 1' off the ground so if the snow freezes you can still open the door with no problems.
In N.H.,Tony.
Can you take another pic of how you made your perch? I don’t quite follow. Thanks

I build a square box 12'wx12'lx6'h split it into 2 6x12.On top of the 6'box I build a 2'knee wallso the middle is 2'hiugher then the sides.I put the pitched roof from the top of the 2' knee wall down to the 6' box.So if you look at it from the end you have a pitched roof with a knee wall in the center,this is their perch.I've seen people have drawing on here I wish I knew how to do it,it would be much easier.I will go out and take some pics and post them later.
In N.H.,Tony.

Back
Top Bottom