Temp dropping in bator at night

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NoseyChickens, Nov 4, 2009.

1. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    the temp keeps dropping 5* at night, what am I doing wrong? hovabator 1602N

2. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

there is no perfect bator, i think even if there's a US$1 million bator (for only 3 eggs) also can fluctuate at least 0.1 deg. [​IMG]

no guarantee of temp fluctuate, even the thermo itself can't be count on.

when night, the temp always getting down outside (home) so that's also affect the temp inside bator, i personally (because i use home made) use 2 fitting bulb, 1 is standard ( i mean can afford 100 deg in F) and 1 is smaller watt. i only turn 1 (standard) and when in emergency or temp dropping i turn the other to help maintain the temp and when temp is too high, i turn off the standard and use the small watt, that's because i don't have any thermostat. [​IMG]

3. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    I always have a small towel over the windows of the bator at night. Keeps the temp steady for me..[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  4. NoseyChickens

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I am going to try putting the towel over the widows tonight. My eggs havent arrived yet, just getting ready. Hope this will do the trick! Thank you!

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I'm assuming its a still air bator. Adding a fan will help. Other than that you need a more stable room to put it in.

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    If you set the temp right 5F change in a still air actually wont' do any harm. Our furnace hasn't been working right since we turned it on a couple months ago. The room temp changes 10-20F from day to night. my hova 1602n goes from 103F at the hottest part of the day to 98-99F at the coldest part of the night. However the average temp the eggs are at is still 100-102 which is where you want a still air. 2 hatches now have still hatched fine with one starting a day early because I ignored the bator and it creeped up to 103F for an extended period of time but ended with a 100% hatch. I've got a 3rd hatch under these conditions on about day 11 that has 100% developing normally. Also helps if you don't have a lot of eggs in the bator to stick sealed containers of water like a water bottle or refilled drink containers in the bator. The extra mass will help prevent temperature fluctuations especially toward the cool end. It's hard to do with a turner in the bator though.

7. NoseyChickens

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Welll I'm starting to feel better about it now. Thank you so much for your help!

8. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    We had an awful time with our old incubator doing that same thing, then spiking during the day. So, we found a different spot, along an inside wall, and I put a heating pad underneath the unit, on low/med and draped a towel over the whole thing. This seemed to fix the whole problem, and I have 11 little peepers right now!

Then I got rid of the incubator, and am saving up for a better one!

Good Luck!

9. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Where do you have your bator? I have mine in a spare bedroom on a table up against an inside wall my temp has always stayed where I set it. Now that I said that
    the temp will probally go crazy. LOL Good luck with your hatch.

10. NoseyChickens

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I have it on a table in the living room. The most stable room for temp in the house. Last night I put tea towles over just the little windows and the temp held perfectly staedy all night. Just in time. My eggs arrived today!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by