Temp during hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PotterWatch, Oct 24, 2009.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I will be setting my eggs for hatch tomorrow and I am wondering where to put my thermometer and what temp it should read during the hatch. I have a still air and have had the thermometer sitting on top of the eggs and I've been striving for a temp of 102. So what do I do with it when it's hatch time and what temp should it be at? Thanks for any help!

2. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well, I am going to be taking my eggs out of the turner in another hour or so. I candled last night and there were 16 that had movement, two that looked developed, but I didn't see movement, and two that were so full I couldn't see anything but blackness and airsac. I have high hopes, but when it comes down to it, I will be happy if any of them hatch!

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You don't need to adjust the temp for hatch....just the humidity.

4. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    So, should I just put the thermometer on the wire floor? I assume it won't still be reading 102 right?

5. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I set my eggs and put in a sponge to raise the humidity. My thermometers are sitting on the floor and reading pretty low, only about 95. Is that ok since they are on the floor and the eggs are higher up, sitting in cartons?

6. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    Ok i'm confused? When I got my bator it sais I need to keep the temp at 99.5...Is that the right temp or should it be higher for my chicken eggs?

7. marc81

marc81 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2009
    Layton
    I always try to incubate at 99.5,and seem to have pretty good results.

8. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have a still air and was told that it should read 102 at the top of the eggs for a still air.

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    99-100F for forced air, 101-102F for still airs if you are reading air temp.

The higher you go in a still air the higher the temp. If your thermometer was on top of the eggs on top of a turner and is now on the mesh that is a big difference. It's going to read lower. You should set the thermometer on top of the eggs every time if it's flat enough. The chicks have no problem knocking it off when they need to hatch or for my liquid one attached to a big plastic sheet they hatched under it and left the egg shell till holding it up. If it reads below 99 on top of the eggs after about 6hours and you have an incubator that isn't too sensitive to adjustments (don't try it with a little giant unless you are sure you can adjust in small amounts) then I'd bump it up to there. Otherwise leave it. With the thermometer on the mesh though we'd be guessing at how much various factors are influencing the temp.

10. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    Well, i'm on day 2 so I think i'll have to keep it at 99.5. I am still unsure at the right temp. Gonna have to do more research. When should I check the water lvl in the bottom of the bator?
    The thermometer is on top of the eggs and the eggs are in a turner.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by