Temp for just hatched baby chicks?

I keep getting/hearing so many different things..... some say yes, some say no. This is my first "flock" and I have read soo many books and posts about what to do and when to do it.
ep.gif

Well what it says is from day 1, 95 F then decrease every week by 5 F
But, if its summer, then by there 2-3 weeks they don't really need a heat lamp since its plenty warm in the house (granite we only have some fans, no AC)
Our week old chicks have no heat lamp and its 70 F out, and they're Serema bantams! They're a bit chilly, yes, but if I turned on the heat lamp I'd just be using money - when they don't really need it. When they begin cheeping, ill turn the light on, but right now they're just cuddling -a sign of being cold- but since they don't have that miserable look on their face and cheeping loudly, they aren't too cold.
You'll get the hang of it, but like I said, by 2-3 weeks if its 70 in the house -or where they're at- then you may find turning off the heat lamp won't anger them much ;)
It's all about finding the way you like, and can, do things.

Frankly, the best way to do it is turn off the lamp and see if they begin to cheep and huddle and look miserable. If they are huddled but don't look miserable, then they really don't need the heat lamp (but if you think they need it, turning it on is fine, just were tight on money, so less electricity is good :) ), if they don't seem to notice the change, they're fine, and if they are panting under the lamp, they def. need it off or raised.

I love my Brinsea warmer. The chickens let you know when it's time to adjust up or down depending on how far they sleep from the unit. No thermometers. No hanging bulbs or difficulty hanging cords. Easy to clean. A little pricey...but for me, the ease and lack of worry were worth the money.

Haha, were all like that at first or until we get the small small babies!
See, they're hardier then people make out to be. Come night time I'd put the heat back on, we do so for our chicks until they're outside.
Best of luck! Oh, and I think you owe us some pics? :)
I will definitely post some very soon. You are all helping me allot and I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom