Temp/humidity & solar light

Sheri460

Chirping
Mar 11, 2021
I would like to put a indoor/outdoor weather station type thing in the coop so that from inside my house I know what the temp and humidity is inside the coop. Does anyone use something like that that works well? Or one you've tried that didn't work well? My coop is about 100 feet from my house.

Also, the area the coop is in is pitch black at night, no light at all. I'm thinking about putting a solar powered light near it. Has anyone used a solar light like that that you've been happy with?

Thank you!

What purpose do you want the light to serve?

We have a path of those little solar lights so that we can walk to the coop after dark to shut things up. That's all the light I ever need for the area myself (DH and I have an ongoing argument about exterior lights with me not wanting any strong floodlights and him wanting to be able to light up the yard if he wants to).

A strong light near the coop may cause your birds to wake up at odd hours of the night. When I had my in-town flock car headlights on the coop would wake my birds and the rooster would crow.

What purpose do you want the light to serve?

We have a path of those little solar lights so that we can walk to the coop after dark to shut things up. That's all the light I ever need for the area myself (DH and I have an ongoing argument about exterior lights with me not wanting any strong floodlights and him wanting to be able to light up the yard if he wants to).

A strong light near the coop may cause your birds to wake up at odd hours of the night. When I had my in-town flock car headlights on the coop would wake my birds and the rooster would crow.
Good question!
Well I was thinking that a motion sensor light might deter wild animals if they came near the coop. Also, is it okay for it to be pitch black in the coop at night? That may seem like a dumb question, but I guess they've always had a little bit of light at night (not a lot) so I figured they'd be used to being able to see a little bit. Is it not necessary to have any light for them?

Good question!
Well I was thinking that a motion sensor light might deter wild animals if they came near the coop. Also, is it okay for it to be pitch black in the coop at night? That may seem like a dumb question, but I guess they've always had a little bit of light at night (not a lot) so I figured they'd be used to being able to see a little bit. Is it not necessary to have any light for them?

I don't have direct experience of lights and predators, but I've read that they quickly get used to the lights flashing on and are no longer deterred.

No, the chickens don't need any light at night. In fact, too much light at night disturbs their sleep and can upset their laying. If you have windows and vents there will be a little moonlight and/or starlight anyway.

Good question!

Pitch black is my goal - we have no street lights and no yard lights on unless we're outside for some reason. Lights or no lights won't do much against predators, but I sure do sleep better without excess light coming through my windows, and hopefully the chickens feel the same.

We use an Accurite station. The coop is about 100' from the indoor station. It came with one remote sensor. Which we keep inside the coop. The batteries last a year or two. Were I to do it again, I would buy one with two remote sensors. That would allow one in the coop and one outside (but covered). The one outside the coop would be especially helpful to keep an eye on humidity. Home depot and Amazon sell this brand. I will note that the outdoor temp/humidity this morning are very close to the reading in the coop.

Attachments

• 1618314672653.png
    1618314672653.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom