1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

temp problems

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by raymondjames, Sep 24, 2011.

1. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    My incubator with chicken eggs (5-7 days old, depends on egg) for a brief period of time (5-7 minutes or so?) reached 115~ Farenheit. it dropped quickly to about 100~ as it was supposed do. are they dead? this is my first hatch so.. dont go superchicken on me [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  2. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    In all honesty 115F is not good but they may have survived. It really depends if the temperature was elevated for a long period and raised the internal temperature of the egg. Do you know why it spiked or was it the maximum temperature after closing the lid?

Pete [​IMG]

3. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    well my incubator is a cardboard box [​IMG] and basically i put a bath towel on it when the temp gets too low. right now its at a PERFECT score 100 F. apparently when i left the towel there and came back temp is fine. 6 minutes later BAM 115. maybe only a few minutes id say. dont think that would be enough to heat up the insides. eggs got tough shells. YAH! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by