Temperament for Cuckoo Marans?

amysflock

Crowing
15 Years
May 8, 2008
Tenino, WA
Hi all,

I have a lead on a couple of cuckoo marans pullets, but before I bite, what is the temperament of that breed? I am trying to steer away from nervous/flighty/aggressive types as my last flock wore me out.

Thanks!

Mine are a little flighty, but not too bad. I prefer the BCs and blues, though they do vary somewhat according to their breeding.
cool.png

I have the Cuckoo Marans. I think like everyone else says, it has to do with the breeder and/or the person who raised them. Ours have been around children since they hatched, so they are very friendly. They even coming running to the back door if you come outside to see if you have any treats. We love them!!!

I have a young pullet who was raised and handled constantly by children. She is still flighty. On the other hand, I have two maran hens who were raised in a large pen with other chickens. They are both fairly tame. Not flighty at all.

Our cuckoos are very social and mild mannered. The roo is very easy with the hens, where the RIR is more grab and go and makes my RIR hens barebacked. The hens do tend to go broody by the 2nd year and they dont lay as well as the RIRs and Barred Rocks but they are so loveable everyone should have a few!
Go get them birdies!

I am a fan of the cuckoo marans. My rooster is the sweetest ever. His hens have not a feather out of place from him. They hens will jump up to get a bite of bread from our hand, and will let us carry them around. I love the Cuckoo Marans!

Ok, so from what I'm reading the "flighty" part might be more on an individual chicken basis rather than a generality for the whole breed. Good to know! I think I'll go look at them and see how they behave.

Thanks, everyone!

I have 1 hen and two young lads. Her name is "Twitchy Tammy" which should say it all. The boys however are really nice. Competition between themselves and other roosters is minimal and usually ends with some feather fluffing and a staring match.

I also find my boys to be very "interactive". They are the first to run up to the truck when I pull in the driveway and will pretty much follow us around the property and scratch around wherever we happen to be working. Very handsome, very calm with the rest of the flock and very "dog like" with humans. Thumbs up from me.

Back
Top Bottom