Temperature Dilemma

Oldallamerican

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 27, 2015
A few months ago we decided to take the plunge and hatch out some eggs of our own. I ordered a brooder through Amazon (a cheep "Smartchoices 12 egg incubator") but decided to go the "natural" way as I had some broody girls - one in particular, a bantam cochin who's wanted to be a Mama ever since we brought her home three years ago. I decided to give her her chance. Well, the hatch was of limited success, we only got four chicks, but really not sure how many of the eggs were fertile in the first place and it was the first try. But the babies are as big as their "Mama" - they're regular Easter Eggers, and Mama is in heaven with her babies. So it's all good.

To the point, I was about to return the brooder as unnecessary when our neighbor, who is also into raising chickens brought some eggs she'd been hoping to hatch herself, but realized they weren't going to be home when the chicks hatched... As the dad was a roo we'd given her she was wondering if I might be willing to take them and hatch them out. I didn't have any broody hens at the time but thought it would be a great chance to try out the brooder so I took nine of them (I had to toss a tenth, sadly as if you were going to fit 12 eggs in that brooder they'd have to be bantam) and set it up.

The brooder worked well for the first five or six days, keeping a steady temp of 38 - 38.2 degrees Celsius. I ensured there was the mandatory 100ml water in the bottom. The a few days ago - Sunday, it is now Tuesday - I went to check on the brooder and some peeps I have in the same room and saw the temperature light going crazy saying the temp was too high at about 42 Celsius. I did everything I could to successfully get the temp down manually and finally had to unplug the brooder to force reset it (the only thing that worked). Everything was fine for a few hours when I went back in and saw it haywire again. At one point the temp was up to 48 C. I've contacted the seller and they say I can take a $20 discount or return it. I think you know what the answer to that is.

The problem is, I hate to give up on this hatch. I have a red comet who appears to be broody. I was wondering if it would be too late to put them under her in hopes of saving at least some of the eggs. I candled them last night and they appeared at one week, to be forming, but I don't know if they'd still be viable after another day of extremely high temps.

I've been around chickens most of my life off and on but this is my first real experience at trying to hatch my own so I thought I'd ask folks who had more first-hand knowledge than I. I'd hate to waste those eggs, but at the same time, I had another breeding project I could use my potential Mama for.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hi there, that's pretty hot. :hmm

Any idea how long they were like that? If they do survive... sometimes there can be deformities. For example in ducklings incubated at too high of temp on certain days it will cause them to hatch with no eyes. So... I don't support special needs birds as it isn't conducive to long term goal of my flock. If I continued forward I would prepared to cull at hatch any deformities detected.

If your determined to hatch... get a second thermometer that you can calibrate. Yes, return that bator!

Weighing eggs to check weight loss is good way to monitor if humidity should be increased or decreased. Those "add so much water regardless of your ambient humidity suggestion made by so many manufacturers is a poor one. I aim for 45% through day 18 (lower if dark eggs) and 65% through hatch.

A great resource for hatching...
https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

Me personally... sorry friend/neighbor... I tried, got to pursue my own breeding projects which doesn't include raising extra, cockerels especially. MAYBE hatching for them to take within the first week IF they wanted chicks otherwise wait until they can do it themselves. Or when you aren't otherwise engaged. No space or time or energy on my part... chicken math is intense! :confused:

Affordable and good hatches with slight manipulation... Hova Bator 1602N!

Less affordable but also fantastic hatches and still decent price compared to other bators... Hova Bator Genesis 1588. Prices were close between Amazon and incubator wharehouse last time I looked. I though either was too big when I first got them.. but you can always add less eggs in a larger bator. Now I can't believe I often have more than one running at a time... 1 incubating in different stages and another hatching weekly! :oops:

Good luck whatever you decide. :fl :jumpy:jumpy

Thanks for the speedy response. It's greatly appreciated and pretty much confirms my fears. It's been at least two days since I noticed it and a fight since, personally I would be surprised if any of them hatched out now - just wanted to get some other input before I pulled the trigger.

It really wasn't a big imposition for me to take the eggs; I just saw it as an opportunity to test the incubator for later use. I was even willing to give her some of the chicks back - as I said, I really didn't need another project but it wasn't a big deal at the time and we are good friends with her and her husband. If the incubator worked it would have been no big deal - I'd have tested my 'bator, and we both would have gotten some good peeps from it.

I guess I'll cut my losses and cull this batch. I've already contacted the folks who sold it to me and they said I could return it if I chose to. I had thought about putting them under one of my broody hens and seeing if I could salvage them, but wasn't too froggy about the percentages. As I said, your reply pretty much confirmed my thoughts. I hate it for the peeps but what are you going to do?

I doubt I'll buy another brooder; I got such a kick out of watching my broods hatch normally and I have a third Mama sitting another clutch so it's not like there's a real need.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

It depends on how long the eggs were exposed to the high temperature. I have had it happen but luckily it wasn't long. I candled my eggs and saw some movement and I still had a decent hatch.

Sorry it's taken so long to respond. I ended up tossing the brood. Sad, after all, they had started to develop but the problem persisted and even though I had a couple hens go broody I thought it would be too risky. As it turned out I have nine naturally hatched chicks from other broods - watching them interact with their mamas is a big kick and a lot less work for me - I doubt I'm going to get another brooder.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Back
Top Bottom