Temperature for 1 week old chicks

Sommano

Songster
Feb 6, 2020
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Hey y’all 😀
Sent the Mister to get puppy food and he came back with 4 one week old sussex pullets 🤦🏻‍♀️
Our other 8 chickies aren’t even in the coop yet!
Oh boy!
So I had to pull out the smaller brooder with the heat lamp.
But I’m afraid it’ll be too hot in the brooder.
The brooders are in the garage.
The temperatures during the day and night are between 80-92 degrees with humidity.
Do I still need them under a heat lamp?

Hey y’all 😀
Sent the Mister to get puppy food and he came back with 4 one week old sussex pullets 🤦🏻‍♀️
Our other 8 chickies aren’t even in the coop yet!
Oh boy!
So I had to pull out the smaller brooder with the heat lamp.
But I’m afraid it’ll be too hot in the brooder.
The brooders are in the garage.
The temperatures during the day and night are between 80-92 degrees with humidity.
Do I still need them under a heat lamp?
Watch their behavior. I would think they will want a heat source if it drops below 85-90 to warm up under. Just have one area that is warm under the lamp for them to use.

Watch their behavior. I would think they will want a heat source if it drops below 85-90 to warm up under. Just have one area that is warm under the lamp for them to use.

I turned off the heat lamp during the day because it’s 91 degrees. And I read they need the temperature between 90-95 degrees.
They should be good, right?
If it drops under 90, I can turn it back on.

I turned off the heat lamp during the day because it’s 91 degrees. And I read they need the temperature between 90-95 degrees.
They should be good, right?
If it drops under 90, I can turn it back on.
Don't fixate too much about the temp. Watch them.
Overnight have a spot that is at 90 and the rest as cool as possible. Lots of ventilation is key.

Back
Top Bottom