Temperature of eggs about to hatch under broody

oregonkat

Crowing
7 Years
Oct 5, 2012
Southern Oregon
I have eggs that are due to hatch tomorrow under my BCM broody and I took a couple of eggs from under her today to listen to them and I noticed that they were quite cool to the touch. She had been off them for a little stretch and a feeding (she also has a 4 day old chick with her). Upon listening to the eggs I could hear ticking and tapping so I assume all is well but I was wondering if the eggs cool down right before hatching? Thanks.

I have eggs that are due to hatch tomorrow under my BCM broody and I took a couple of eggs from under her today to listen to them and I noticed that they were quite cool to the touch. She had been off them for a little stretch and a feeding (she also has a 4 day old chick with her). Upon listening to the eggs I could hear ticking and tapping so I assume all is well but I was wondering if the eggs cool down right before hatching? Thanks.

Just let your broody momma do her job
thumbsup.gif
If she has been sitting faithfully, she should be fine. HOWEVER, if you see her off the nest a lot in order to care for the 4 day old chick, then there might be an issue, as she may feel she needs to leave the nest to care for that baby now? Is she still committed to the nest most of the day? Good sign to hear those babies inside the egg
jumpy.gif

Just let your broody momma do her job
thumbsup.gif
If she has been sitting faithfully, she should be fine. HOWEVER, if you see her off the nest a lot in order to care for the 4 day old chick, then there might be an issue, as she may feel she needs to leave the nest to care for that baby now? Is she still committed to the nest most of the day? Good sign to hear those babies inside the egg
jumpy.gif
Just today it seems that she has been spending more time off the nest but she always returns, tucks the wayward eggs under her along with the chick and sits. I guess we will know more tomorrow. I do have another broody hen that I have been taking eggs from daily, also a BCM so if momma decides not to sit faithfully tomorrow, maybe I will swap her out for the new broody. What do you think?

Just today it seems that she has been spending more time off the nest but she always returns, tucks the wayward eggs under her along with the chick and sits. I guess we will know more tomorrow. I do have another broody hen that I have been taking eggs from daily, also a BCM so if momma decides not to sit faithfully tomorrow, maybe I will swap her out for the new broody. What do you think?

Sorry...didn't get back to BYC...did your babies hatch with your broody girl?

Quote: X2 I hope they have completed the hatch by now. Hatching eggs do not cool down naturally, unless they lose the heat source (hen or incubator). Neither is harmful unless the cool down is for a long period (a day or so) and if the temperature they're exposed to is very low.

X2 I hope they have completed the hatch by now. Hatching eggs do not cool down naturally, unless they lose the heat source (hen or incubator). Neither is harmful unless the cool down is for a long period (a day or so) and if the temperature they're exposed to is very low.
OK so this morning one little pipper arrived with mom and sibling helping with the shell removal, (I hope thats normal), she left the membrane in tact and then I had to leave for other chores so I have not met the new arrival this morning but I am hopeful. The cheeps were pretty hearty. Mom is still sitting faithfully so I have hope for the other eggs. Day 22 today. She did discard an egg yesterday morning and I disposed of that one. Thanks for checking in, I feel like I have been run over by a large tanker with worry. We are such strange creatures.
jumpy.gif

So now I dont know what to do!! The new little one is half in its shell curled up, alive and moving but quiet. Mother has it quite close to her while she sits on the other eggs and the 5 day old chick bonks the baby every now and then and there is a faint peep. Is this all OK? I do not want to intervene as the chick is alive and I assume mom knows best. She was quite adamant about removing the shell at the very beginning and now has just left it alone. Advice please!

Some chicks just need to rest a lot more than others in the beginning. I wouldn't worry just yet. It will move around when it's ready. As long as it's not being pestered by the other chick it should be ok.

Some chicks just need to rest a lot more than others in the beginning. I wouldn't worry just yet. It will move around when it's ready. As long as it's not being pestered by the other chick it should be ok.
As of this evening the little one still has crispy white membrane stuck to one little leg but she seems strong and moving around even though she cant get up. The other chick stands on her every now and then and she lets out a little peep but other than that she seems OK. Mom was pulling at the membrane a little but not hard enough to dislodge it. I guess she knows that it is not ready for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom