Temperature Opinions!Please vote~

tiffanyh

Songster
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
Connecticut
Okay- I just started a new hatch in my incubator-still air. Temps at the top of eggs read 102, temps at egg level read 100.0, humitidy 50-60%. So I am in walmart and I come across a notorious water weasel--and of course I buy it. A couple days into the hatch. Now I am obsessed!

Here is the prob, the inside of the weasel reads 98.8. I am aware it SHOULD be 99.5, but in order to get it to 99.5, the temp at the top of the egg goes to just above 104 and at egg level goes to 101-102 easily. Just to keep the weasel at 98.8, I have the top of the egg temp at 103.3

Do I:

a) move the water weasel temp up to 99.5 despite that means a very high- potentially fatally high- temp at the top of the egg (104+). It is right at the top of the egg.

b) leave the water weasel where it is at 98.8, with the chance of having a late hatch but NOT having to increase the temperature up to 104 at the top of the egg.

c) Stop obsessing, get off the internet and clean my house.

And I thoguht being pregnant was hard!

Last edited:
I would do b and then c. The developing embryo "floats" at the top of the yolk so the temperature at the top of the egg, especially in early development is very important. Is it possible that the water weasal isn't quite at the egg location?

Anyways though. I've never used one and keep temps at middle of egg at 100 deg. Haven't had a problem yet. All I do just toss them in and check on day 10, 18, and watch hatches on 21. I also keep all water resivores full for the first 14 days or so where humidity is probally like 80 or so, and then take all water out till they all hatch. Its alot less messy and I've had all the chicks in 3 hatches make it using this method.

Okay, thats what I was thinking--the water weasel isnt EXACT, right? It is close but not exact. ANy others? I really want to see what you all think--so does mu husband because he doesnt want me to bother him anymore....
big_smile.png

I vote for B and C also.

.3 degrees is not that critical. I've had incubators go nuts and hit 107 and still get a perfect hatch.

I handle hatching much like silkie does. Put them in the incubator. Check on temp and humidity once a day and candle at day 10. I candle again at day 16 and raise the humidity on day 18 and then leave the lid down until after day 21.

I know it is hard to do. But all that fiddling to try and stay on the ideal ends up doing more harm than good.

Agree with the others..lower incubation temp is better than too high. High can be fatal, but low is usually late hatch. See how this hatch goes and you'll know if you need to increase a little for next time. I set my thermometer based on hatch day, not temperature readings (because they are never accurate). Hatch day is right on and results in healthy, thriving chicks.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom