Temperature outside...too cold?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mikarod, Dec 20, 2008.

1. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I have 10 week old chicks that I moved outside today. Thing is, the temperature plummeted to 28* and it's only 7:30PM.

Here is a photo of them in their coop:
    [​IMG]

The coop has windows that have been blocked, and there is a "heat" lamp that doesn't seem to be doing much. I touched it and it didn't burn me...I have a feeling someone switched it with a floodlight or something.

Is it too cold out for them now? They were huddled around the lamp, but as soon as I opened the door, they scattered and went to eating.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd say they'll be OK.

They are beautiful and well feathered out.

3. mikarod

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    That's what I was hoping for. I've never had them in the winter...only in the summer. By the rate their growing though..winter is DEFINITELY becoming my favorite time for raising them.

Thanks Mahonri for the compliment...I looked a long time for them and I guess that's why I'm so protective of them now.

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I see some gaps between the boards = drafts. At 28 F they should be ok with the light on them but if it gets colder you'll want to get rid of the gaps between the boards.

They are nice looking chickens [​IMG]

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If they are on bare ground they need some bedding.

6. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Could you put in a big box - remove the top and bottom & cut a door in it - put it under the light for a draft guard. The coop does look drafty with the spaces between the boards. The box would help hold in the heat & give them a less drafty place to warm up.

7. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    I locked my 9 week olds down in small dog/coop covered in large tarp for the past few days and they're OK so far. Down to about 10 last night. EEK!
    I do give them a hot meal each morning + fresh warm water..... We've had sleet/snow/etc. the past 2 days and I worry. Good luck!

8. mikarod

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    It's amazing how much can go wrong when you have a FLOOD light in place of a heat lamp....LOL

9. mikarod

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    THEY MADE IT!!! [​IMG]

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Glad to hear it. [​IMG]
    Do you have access to hay bales? Seems to me you could stack some around the outside of that pen to cut the wind or maybe drape the outside with some tarps?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by