Temperature Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jamsoundsgood, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Jamsoundsgood

Jamsoundsgood Songster

Jun 11, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I have 3 five week old twenty-some-odd four week old, and 3 one-week old chickies all in the same brooder. (Gotta love the help at the feed store, when I asked how old they were I got an "I dunno" [​IMG]). The older ones are ready for me to turn off the lamp, at least during the day, but I'm just not sure if I should because of the babies. It's usually in the high 70's to mid 80's during the day and in the low to mid 50's at night. Would the little ones be okay without the light? I don't want it to be too cold for them, but I don't want to fry the big ones either.
    Emily

2. giasmom

giasmom Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Can you put the big ones somewhere else?

3. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I have 1 week old chicks in the same brooder as 5 week old chicks and they do fine - just make sure to put the heat lamp at one end of your brooder so that the older chicks have room to get away from the heat if it's too hot for them.

4. Jamsoundsgood

Jamsoundsgood Songster

Jun 11, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Thanks for the help:) The brooder is very large and I just have the one lamp at the far end. I was probably doing the overprotective mama thing. Heaven knows my own kiddoes get that treatment enough!
    Emily

5. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Songster

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    With the warmer weather 5 wk. olds should be about ready to go out. Are they fully feathered? If so they should be fine. Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: