Temperature spikes :(

Magic Birdie

Crowing
8 Years
May 3, 2011
Magic Birdie land
So I have 15 button quail eggs in my homemade incubator which worked very nicely for a while. It usually has a nice stable temperature, but if needed, I could put the styrofoam lid I cut out and replaced with plastic back on so it partially covers the top, regulating how much heat it retains.

I've always had the philosophy that a bit lower temps are better than the same difference in temperature but higher, as it may harm the eggs.

I'm on day 12 out of 17 right now, and the last two nights the temperature spiked up to 106, at least I found the thermometer to say that in the mornings at around 6 AM. Then, I would remove the lid until it lowered to 100, then put it back on without the styrofoam top, or with it covering much less.

I've decided to abandon the top to prevent any more spikes. I'm just concerned for my eggs... I've been anticipating their hatches for so long, and it would be terrible if they don't hatch :(

Lockdown would start tomorrow, and they are to hatch on Sunday/Monday.

Do you think I could still get an okay hatch rate?

Anyway, wish me luck!

I'm sure you could still have some hatch, who knows how long they were even at the higher temperature, I am the opposite of you, I would rather my incubator run a degree or 2 warm than run cool, I had my last hatch start on day 18 and 19 and all were good healthy chicks, I have read that some opinions from whatever tests were done on the subject were that a slightly faster hatch with a little higher temps tends to yield stronger chicks than a slower longer hatch.

I'm sure you could still have some hatch, who knows how long they were even at the higher temperature, I am the opposite of you, I would rather my incubator run a degree or 2 warm than run cool, I had my last hatch start on day 18 and 19 and all were good healthy chicks, I have read that some opinions from whatever tests were done on the subject were that a slightly faster hatch with a little higher temps tends to yield stronger chicks than a slower longer hatch.

Ah, thanks :)

I just figure that they're not in immediate danger if it's on the cool side as opposed to possibly dying when it's too hot, but I can certainly see your point.

Back
Top Bottom