Temperature Tactics

I place a cardboard box inside my brooder with the heat source. This is what I refer to as the "safeplace". I fix the lighting so it will be around 99º inside the boxhouse portion. The rest of the brooder is normal temps (78-95) depending on the time of day.

This way, they are able to get plenty of warmth, and MUST get used to normal temps.

If they are chilly, they go inside, if they are hungry, they go out. If they are in between, they hang out at the door.

I think I like the idea of a box, or barrier. It's going to be difficult for me to lessen the temps gradually anyway. I guess I'll go mess with it some more tonight or tomorrow before I leave.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm sure we'll all do fine!
thumbsup.gif

29722_0616092102.jpg

Never mind it's a beer box....it's fuctional. The chicks love it.

Since it is their "safe place" if you make a sudden loud noise the rush inside it. Good practice for when they are in the coop...

since they are inside, I don't know what type of heat lamp you have, but I had the 250 W and it was waaaay to hot for the brooder. Walmarts sells red 85 watt ones for reptiles if you need smaller. Also be sure to put marbles in your water and I don't know what type of waterer it is but if it is from TSC and it is the 1 gallon red and white one, it will leak if not perfectly level so make sure the water has somewhere to go so it doesn't flood the coop.

Have fun, I am sure you will enjoy your chicks!

Nice beer box! Mine won't be nearly so colorful.

I know about the leaky waterer...
hmm.png
They last forever though, don't they? This one's been through dozens of clutches. I finally ditched my old heat lamp though because it barely worked.

Thanks again, guys! I'm gonna get to bed, though I doubt I'll sleep at all.

Well, are they there yet??? Did you stay up all night sitting by the brooder waiting on them? If they are there already, you're probably not on line and sitting at the brooder staring at them instead. I don't blame you. That's what I did when I got my first batch of babies through the mail. I didn't want to leave them!
love.gif

Picture - pictures!!!! We need pictures!!!!
D.gif

Penny

You don't want pictures of ugly ole' cornish crosses, do ya?
hmm.png
I'm sure they're cute as babies though.

No, they're not here yet. They are to be delivered to the Red & White near me. They'll give me a call when they arrive, but unfortunately I can't pick them up until I get off of work at 1:00pm.
barnie.gif

So... I'll be letting you know. Stay tuned.
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom