Temperature "tolerance range" for incubating quail eggs?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by _Randall_, Nov 24, 2009.

1. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Trying to put together a plan for building a homemade incubator for quail eggs, and was wondering what the "min-max" window was for the required temperature? I've read anywhere from 95º to 101.5º [​IMG] So, how critical is it to hold the right temperature (whatever that is), and what is considered too cool & too warm? Given the fact that all thermostats are created a little "unequal" when it comes to consistancy, I don't want to choose an el-cheapo thermostat that lets me ruin my first go-round of egg hatchin'!!!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    'normal' is anywhere between 97 and 102, but either extreme for too long can cause problems. You want it to hold as close to 100 as you can get.

3. canter6

canter6 Cooped up

Oct 12, 2009
    Dacula,GA.
    A good target point as far as temps go is 98-101. If you can maintain that temp for the bulk of the eggs you are trying to hatch, then you are probably ok. Temps are easy to maintain, humidity is usually king, but easy.

4. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Good to know. Got my combo thermometer/hydrometer today, and the rest of my parts for homemade incubator. Guess what I'm building tomorrow with hubby!

5. canter6

canter6 Cooped up

Oct 12, 2009
    Dacula,GA.
    Quote:I'm thinking..... A Homeadebator.

6. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Homadeobator finished!! It is getting tuned now. Temp flux bad, added another jar of water to help..

7. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:I checked your homemade bator out. Looks great!! Good luck, and keep us posted on how it's going.

8. canter6

canter6 Cooped up

Oct 12, 2009
    Dacula,GA.
    Less jars, more surface area of water will increase humididy.
    75% surface area of water the total volume of space should create a 45-60% humidity level at 99.5 deg. F.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by