Temperment of a Barred Rock Roo

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MTtroutwithwings, Apr 27, 2009.

1. MTtroutwithwings

MTtroutwithwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    Hello, y'all,

9 weeks ago I purchased from the local feed store, a pair of pullets chicks, ( [​IMG] they were advertised as pullets!) one pearl white leghorn & a barred rock. Well the Barred Rock crowed at me yesterday! [​IMG] My son who pick out the BR is crushed as he knows we're not fond of keeping roosters around all my girls (with the exception of 1 male guinea) so I need to know what they're temperment is like to determine if he'll stay or go.

Thanks!

2. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Welllll, This might answer your question. This little guy...was supposed to be a gal but we were told she was a he?? Still not 100% sure yet...but either way...this breed must be very calm and social , as this little baby has become my lap chicken....[​IMG] [​IMG] Jumps up in my lap and then to my shoulder every time I sit with them in the coop...which I do several x a day now...LOL!
    ( this is part of that addiction they talk about on here ) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

mmtillman, is that a rose comb on that chick or an illusion? If it's not a single comb, you don't have a BR. Almost looks like a pea comb in that picture. Bet it's just the angle on the pic.. [​IMG]

I had a fabulous BR flock rooster, Hawkeye. When he died, I had one of his sons, then hatched more eggs and got two more. Every one of them is a sweetheart. Sure, there is an occasional exception, but I adore BR roosters.

4. mschickychick

mschickychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Mississippi
    I raised Barred Rocks for 3 years and never had a problem with the roos being aggressive. I could go in the coop with them to collect the eggs and let them free range and they never offered to come at me or anything like that. Probably the friendliest roos I've ever had.

5. greenesacres

greenesacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Kentucky
    We had one and he was a DEVIL in disguise! I have an 8, 6, and 3 year old, so he had to go. He was beautiful and we could pick him up and carry him around. However, turn your back on him and watch out!

6. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have one BR roos with my flock. There are 3 other roos in there too. The BR roo is by far the sweetest one! I want to rehome all the others but I will be keeping that one!

7. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    We had a BR roo. He was great to his girls and a good protector. He never challenged me, only my DH once... but he really went after the neighbor who looked after them when we went on vacation one week. I know he was just protecting his girls from a stranger, so we let it slide since he didn't draw blood. But after that, I was nervous about letting my daughters come into the pen with him so I sold him and his 2 fave ladies to a friend of my DH's.

8. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I at one point had 4 BR roo, I still have 3 of them. One named Freddy was a sweetheart and let me hold and pet him he died of an injury last fall, Romeo (who is in with the main flock) is not friendly but causes no problems, Diner (you can guess where he is going) was at one time very sweet but now will attack, and last (and lest) Is " I want to Kill you" ( yes that is his name) Is a mean evil thing who attacks and spurred me on Monday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by