Temperment

BrownSheep

Chirping
8 Years
May 27, 2011
My turkeys are currently 10-11 weeks old. They are very gentle and curious. They aren't overly freindly and don't like being picked up, but will put up with a little bit of petting. Really my question is when do turkeys start showing aggression.

I have never had agressive turkeys.

But my old tom would hump anything stupid enough to lay on the ground. Including unsuspecting toddlers.

I would say they would at least have to be breeding age before they showed aggression. I've had hundreds of turkeys over the years and I have only had one really mean one I hatched him out from some eggs I bought last year. If I hadn't of had so much money tied up in him I would have rang his neck. I'm happy I didn't though because I've got some really nice poults out of him this year. He's a mean one though. Tries to bite your hands as you are undoing the latch to his pen and it just gets worse from there. LOL

I've only had one tom show any aggression and even that wasn't until his second breeding season. He went to the swap shortly afterwards (yes, I did tell the buyer). None of my other male birds have ever shown a problem that way. If it's going to happen though it'll likely be during breeding season.

I had BR's. The males started showing aggressive behavior when they became sexually mature. I think the aggression was partially due to the fact that I had 6 males and 2 females.

Renee' :

I had BR's. The males started showing aggressive behavior when they became sexually mature. I think the aggression was partially due to the fact that I had 6 males and 2 females.

That would make any male agressive. Didn't you go to any college parties?
smile.png

Pet keepers won't like this
hit.gif
but here goes..... it is mostly a dominance thing ( multible tom's & only 2 hens ?), Next time just give him a hardy swat on the head with a newspaper or a stiff butt kick
ep.gif
, I have done this to alot of aggressive chickens and they are still mean but they will keep their distance when your around I recently did it to my Bronze and now he walks up to the pen when I arrive chirping but walks away when I come in. I had to use a cattle prod ( electric) on a Goose that was the devil incarnate, swatting just made him want to fight more, he learned to stay back after that episode....OK now gang up and chastise me for being mean
somad.gif
, but it works.........either put up with it or fix it. IMHO.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom