Temperment

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by BrownSheep, Aug 3, 2011.

1. BrownSheep

BrownSheep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    My turkeys are currently 10-11 weeks old. They are very gentle and curious. They aren't overly freindly and don't like being picked up, but will put up with a little bit of petting. Really my question is when do turkeys start showing aggression.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I have never had agressive turkeys.

But my old tom would hump anything stupid enough to lay on the ground. Including unsuspecting toddlers.

3. BrownSheep

May 27, 2011
    Thats pretty funny:lol:

4. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    I would say they would at least have to be breeding age before they showed aggression. I've had hundreds of turkeys over the years and I have only had one really mean one I hatched him out from some eggs I bought last year. If I hadn't of had so much money tied up in him I would have rang his neck. I'm happy I didn't though because I've got some really nice poults out of him this year. He's a mean one though. Tries to bite your hands as you are undoing the latch to his pen and it just gets worse from there. LOL

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I've only had one tom show any aggression and even that wasn't until his second breeding season. He went to the swap shortly afterwards (yes, I did tell the buyer). None of my other male birds have ever shown a problem that way. If it's going to happen though it'll likely be during breeding season.

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Mine have never shown aggression. They are just mischievous. The are more like elementary school bullies on the playground.

7. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    I had BR's. The males started showing aggressive behavior when they became sexually mature. I think the aggression was partially due to the fact that I had 6 males and 2 females.

8. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Renee' :

I had BR's. The males started showing aggressive behavior when they became sexually mature. I think the aggression was partially due to the fact that I had 6 males and 2 females.

That would make any male agressive. Didn't you go to any college parties? [​IMG]

9. BrownSheep

May 27, 2011
    Hopefully I should be ok. I have one tom and three girlies.

10. quailmale

quailmale Chillin' With My Peeps

Pet keepers won't like this [​IMG] but here goes..... it is mostly a dominance thing ( multible tom's & only 2 hens ?), Next time just give him a hardy swat on the head with a newspaper or a stiff butt kick [​IMG] , I have done this to alot of aggressive chickens and they are still mean but they will keep their distance when your around I recently did it to my Bronze and now he walks up to the pen when I arrive chirping but walks away when I come in. I had to use a cattle prod ( electric) on a Goose that was the devil incarnate, swatting just made him want to fight more, he learned to stay back after that episode....OK now gang up and chastise me for being mean [​IMG] , but it works.........either put up with it or fix it. IMHO. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by