Temporarily attaching temp coop to temp run?

Sefirothe

On A Clucking Adventure
Premium Feather Member
Feb 1, 2023
Scranton, PA
Building our permanent coop and run has had a few set backs and delays. I'm working on putting together a temporary run and prefab coop for my 3.5 week old chicks.

I got a small run built and am just working on reinforcing the cheap chicken wire with hardware cloth around the bottom plus adding an apron to prevent predators digging under.

After that I'll need to assemble the prefab coop and move the chicks in.

Originally I was just going to put the coop inside the run and call it good enough, but am starting to realize the coop will take up a lot of valuable space in the run.

I was thinking I'd like to set up the coop outside of the run. But I cant think of a way to cut a hole in the wire and securely attach the coop to the run, but in a temporary way.

The location of the temp coop and run is also temporary! I'd like to be able to disassemble and move everything as needed.

The coop is made out of a composite blend of recycled polymers and reclaimed wood fiber by-products. I'm not sure how much abuse it would take attaching and detaching things to it.

Any ideas??

Fontana.jpg

AJFCJaUukydjflmfDasyAs-DxvReGgwCZiowJXIulx5bo_xNWANayJJv1QX4_T0N85Ew3G1N2B0jHrXYHwj7SU0Jhx9suXFo_ZsWCR6LkAU1TUWYcHTCw-uYEsYCCnGDNiN2b6R1rUi1A7KHmjYg7k_sOQQnpIlQw-_6ZYYcFX9Di67MV-5Xd6_jwvvJBcMczOEqbx2w5YprocapFZe0kO7ngOUnZP--DqCWnhkysbiBaSV-uqLpjFWJ6wuqIyRAnqRfc3rBoXBSgmFO3kq1H4dDeX0M7xwrbcUBel9VYUJqCBO1yis58-24yeEmaPspWtwldfNSnfdIMxzH86A-bgjyrqmGykfjxPmDs3Vm_86XHmJUhQS05YWGVa_jLDMUQ704SroNTyDBSh9MSnas8vHYWq32Uzdln6U0mF53aNGl502Gggf2UHFiImEPfD3cBy8jcE7j0QkTrUy7Zw0V-vVXXT0EIXY9PqHXd9nh37b3tj1YrwH9pkGlod3RGbHX7_-YxHx3maR64iUiVn33VqTasAHj3kQb2F-q8c3AtO6u5YrCUIQos-lGY_disQJnGHpyGU-tsLMzzXVCcdiO-L-LswLyPilO7MZ2lp_0GYxthEpIrlsPSlbB9dZhtY7NhuivHsPGk0eFv1M19BxwGZdEpyJkYucubw-DJJx1bgtyXqKWqHB3zix5cIfTz2bQpdhAkbrwQqobJsoMF4WnxbsULi14kX0QXC8uMurAAz-R-_vAwa8rxR_U38mnheaspbqkVlrlfKOXwIR1_flbiNuikNsQh6IBMe5tCKO6R0y6g8JFdKwmxp1_ibRryOQgg_m9ZVL8DMZfeF2es7I3j3XN3kPa1mlPk1LjRK57az5QkctvWrFDGx_rBJPvuQbS6EuFRv0zkDEZ6F_sUGhyipemo8Y=w1238-h1386-s-no

Both your pics show serious detractors.
Coop has no ventilation, run has chicken wire which is not predator proof.
As stated, I’m adding 1/4” hardware cloth to reinforce the cheap chicken wire and add an apron around the outside.

I’m aware the prefab requires quite a bit more ventilation. My plan is to remove or not install some of the top boards on the side and back walls and cover with left over hardware cloth.

They will likely only be housed in this temporary set up for 3-4 weeks until the tree trimmers come at the end of this month to clear the spot where the permanent coop will go. I have the first week of July set as vacation from work to get the coop and run built.

Once it is, this set up will be moved to an out of the way spot and used if I should need to separate a bird for any reason. Or a grow out coop if I get new babies.

It needs to stay where it is at the moment so the tree trimmers can get their trucks thru to the trees that need to come down.

Not the best pic since I was taking a photo of the metal wire ties I was using, but you can see the hardware cloth over the chicken wire. The hardware cloth extends up the bottom three feet with a 1 foot apron around the outside.

AJFCJaWWkf2W-TO0P1Ypbi5DjQJ_sMZt5M3N3UITm8QndK-x8_4YS380Xo1jvmVhRCHm2GLtJ0PgSXMlA1SSV9O0G7H4UlCX_oAc2j47JspKqgpqSDhCy3a0OPs9ZnIy1kIMNGyek2L_fDnTawjnjN6PSmXUYXLD6cNc3gelbodlyi7aSYiw9oPJcwh3b8QJ4367vVjdTXGDeh85qKsrMrigV9wbSbe0eewyhDbdjDTdkaYjNYaf-jX0hXpVdvh3zbkfe4xGzWLH4W3Rr9KId4d3GSBZdf8XGhD6_yc9wlD8YY5ieAfo4ZoXdIPzz1wBOL4eHfijt-mvraIbfEs2y6kxj9teH1HeZ32XhrpGqO7xizxPFl3kzhtUGYIIlI5Hy1kNEr4t4g_Pe5H4fqu0XGqiwKWitzVaSsbMUQ2dsSyJuNEEB5kPhLA0Er8sZhf3IxWV-xvwyBYovcx7AHe8XmCPRMXXyADPVZOn_48QKPI6SQ0OGF3wyg7tunvR-dmlwQEhLD15bHhdGuE3044jm4LXPtZgeXYhpVlYNp_mpif7UIZnJjy_2aa5Aiy0NQOC2c0s8XEuceMNEb9xgYqd8U3QK7njDoZVCGxwuEOoRUym-mHZQVuJpht-khL0o83zvt-614p8yI124nYcp3PzuqZM9UkSP8DzuueFNpc-vsU763O_sQsJp-t5ShyUlvbVW9vnbsklvirjuv9HRP538NmS3sh4nLqTM7yjLDW2JaUYU7H81bdrA6AL3VD_xTponWugMmNq4OUT0X1zklmF0PdyhdIRR1wzrdzlw8TqfZZTZwdEmorRGip3UI0yPFALUpo4COcYLVEqGcrVfSohfLGM9Yz2pyEQ8WyXwXEZKEp0txJrPA2CPzY03YWUFdFShRmcXy5DIoXskrDZZ6IH7GXRlmI=w1848-h1386-s-no

Last edited:
I don't know the footprint of the coop or the size of the run, but I'd say just put the coop inside since it's temporary. Definitely improve the ventilation as you said. You could maybe add some vertical space, when they get big enough they will probably be up on top of the coop too.

I don't know the footprint of the coop or the size of the run, but I'd say just put the coop inside since it's temporary. Definitely improve the ventilation as you said. You could maybe add some vertical space, when they get big enough they will probably be up on top of the coop too.
True. I'm probably over thinking this like I usually do.

The run is 9.7 ft long and 6.5 ft wide. The coop is 4.4 ft long and 2.4 ft wide. It will fit comfortably in the run against one of the short walls of the run.

Building our permanent coop and run has had a few set backs and delays. I'm working on putting together a temporary run and prefab coop for my 3.5 week old chicks.

I got a small run built and am just working on reinforcing the cheap chicken wire with hardware cloth around the bottom plus adding an apron to prevent predators digging under.

After that I'll need to assemble the prefab coop and move the chicks in.

Originally I was just going to put the coop inside the run and call it good enough, but am starting to realize the coop will take up a lot of valuable space in the run.

I was thinking I'd like to set up the coop outside of the run. But I cant think of a way to cut a hole in the wire and securely attach the coop to the run, but in a temporary way.

The location of the temp coop and run is also temporary! I'd like to be able to disassemble and move everything as needed.

The coop is made out of a composite blend of recycled polymers and reclaimed wood fiber by-products. I'm not sure how much abuse it would take attaching and detaching things to it.

Any ideas??

AJFCJaUukydjflmfDasyAs-DxvReGgwCZiowJXIulx5bo_xNWANayJJv1QX4_T0N85Ew3G1N2B0jHrXYHwj7SU0Jhx9suXFo_ZsWCR6LkAU1TUWYcHTCw-uYEsYCCnGDNiN2b6R1rUi1A7KHmjYg7k_sOQQnpIlQw-_6ZYYcFX9Di67MV-5Xd6_jwvvJBcMczOEqbx2w5YprocapFZe0kO7ngOUnZP--DqCWnhkysbiBaSV-uqLpjFWJ6wuqIyRAnqRfc3rBoXBSgmFO3kq1H4dDeX0M7xwrbcUBel9VYUJqCBO1yis58-24yeEmaPspWtwldfNSnfdIMxzH86A-bgjyrqmGykfjxPmDs3Vm_86XHmJUhQS05YWGVa_jLDMUQ704SroNTyDBSh9MSnas8vHYWq32Uzdln6U0mF53aNGl502Gggf2UHFiImEPfD3cBy8jcE7j0QkTrUy7Zw0V-vVXXT0EIXY9PqHXd9nh37b3tj1YrwH9pkGlod3RGbHX7_-YxHx3maR64iUiVn33VqTasAHj3kQb2F-q8c3AtO6u5YrCUIQos-lGY_disQJnGHpyGU-tsLMzzXVCcdiO-L-LswLyPilO7MZ2lp_0GYxthEpIrlsPSlbB9dZhtY7NhuivHsPGk0eFv1M19BxwGZdEpyJkYucubw-DJJx1bgtyXqKWqHB3zix5cIfTz2bQpdhAkbrwQqobJsoMF4WnxbsULi14kX0QXC8uMurAAz-R-_vAwa8rxR_U38mnheaspbqkVlrlfKOXwIR1_flbiNuikNsQh6IBMe5tCKO6R0y6g8JFdKwmxp1_ibRryOQgg_m9ZVL8DMZfeF2es7I3j3XN3kPa1mlPk1LjRK57az5QkctvWrFDGx_rBJPvuQbS6EuFRv0zkDEZ6F_sUGhyipemo8Y=w1238-h1386-s-no
To give this flock more room we cut a hole in the dog kennnel and zip tied the plastic coop to the fence. Hope that helps!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
I would probably put it inside as well, rather than cut into the enclosure. The enclosure will come in handy down the road for lots of things, as you said, and the coop is not so big. Basically they can still go inside it at any point in the day for shade or weather protection, so it's not as if it's lost space. Just remember to address those ventilation concerns, and you should be all set!

I am building a small grow-out pen for some started pullets as well, so I definitely get where you are coming from, wanting to get them outside. :)

To give this flock more room we cut a hole in the dog kennnel and zip tied the plastic coop to the fence. Hope that helps!
How did you attach the zip ties to the coop? And that looks like the same brand coop as I have, EcoFlex? How do you like it and how has it held up?

I would probably put it inside as well, rather than cut into the enclosure. The enclosure will come in handy down the road for lots of things, as you said, and the coop is not so big. Basically they can still go inside it at any point in the day for shade or weather protection, so it's not as if it's lost space. Just remember to address those ventilation concerns, and you should be all set!

I am building a small grow-out pen for some started pullets as well, so I definitely get where you are coming from, wanting to get them outside. :)
The girls got their first look at the outside world as they spent some supervised time inside the run yesterday as I was working on the outside adding the hardware cloth. They were very very confused at first. Then the party started! Scratching at the ground, dust bathing in the dirt, flopping out and sun bathing on their side. Its amazing how much is instinct and not learned behaviors since they have no adult to follow!

IMG_3361.jpg

As stated, I’m adding 1/4” hardware cloth to reinforce the cheap chicken wire and add an apron around the outside.

I’m aware the prefab requires quite a bit more ventilation. My plan is to remove or not install some of the top boards on the side and back walls and cover with left over hardware cloth.

They will likely only be housed in this temporary set up for 3-4 weeks until the tree trimmers come at the end of this month to clear the spot where the permanent coop will go. I have the first week of July set as vacation from work to get the coop and run built.

Once it is, this set up will be moved to an out of the way spot and used if I should need to separate a bird for any reason. Or a grow out coop if I get new babies.

It needs to stay where it is at the moment so the tree trimmers can get their trucks thru to the trees that need to come down.

Not the best pic since I was taking a photo of the metal wire ties I was using, but you can see the hardware cloth over the chicken wire. The hardware cloth extends up the bottom three feet with a 1 foot apron around the outside.

AJFCJaWWkf2W-TO0P1Ypbi5DjQJ_sMZt5M3N3UITm8QndK-x8_4YS380Xo1jvmVhRCHm2GLtJ0PgSXMlA1SSV9O0G7H4UlCX_oAc2j47JspKqgpqSDhCy3a0OPs9ZnIy1kIMNGyek2L_fDnTawjnjN6PSmXUYXLD6cNc3gelbodlyi7aSYiw9oPJcwh3b8QJ4367vVjdTXGDeh85qKsrMrigV9wbSbe0eewyhDbdjDTdkaYjNYaf-jX0hXpVdvh3zbkfe4xGzWLH4W3Rr9KId4d3GSBZdf8XGhD6_yc9wlD8YY5ieAfo4ZoXdIPzz1wBOL4eHfijt-mvraIbfEs2y6kxj9teH1HeZ32XhrpGqO7xizxPFl3kzhtUGYIIlI5Hy1kNEr4t4g_Pe5H4fqu0XGqiwKWitzVaSsbMUQ2dsSyJuNEEB5kPhLA0Er8sZhf3IxWV-xvwyBYovcx7AHe8XmCPRMXXyADPVZOn_48QKPI6SQ0OGF3wyg7tunvR-dmlwQEhLD15bHhdGuE3044jm4LXPtZgeXYhpVlYNp_mpif7UIZnJjy_2aa5Aiy0NQOC2c0s8XEuceMNEb9xgYqd8U3QK7njDoZVCGxwuEOoRUym-mHZQVuJpht-khL0o83zvt-614p8yI124nYcp3PzuqZM9UkSP8DzuueFNpc-vsU763O_sQsJp-t5ShyUlvbVW9vnbsklvirjuv9HRP538NmS3sh4nLqTM7yjLDW2JaUYU7H81bdrA6AL3VD_xTponWugMmNq4OUT0X1zklmF0PdyhdIRR1wzrdzlw8TqfZZTZwdEmorRGip3UI0yPFALUpo4COcYLVEqGcrVfSohfLGM9Yz2pyEQ8WyXwXEZKEp0txJrPA2CPzY03YWUFdFShRmcXy5DIoXskrDZZ6IH7GXRlmI=w1848-h1386-s-no
You might want to reconsider the 1/4 hardware cloth. Unless you can get it 19 gauge wire it really won't keep larger predators such as raccoons and coyotes out. The 1/4 inch stuff is usually a much softer grade of wire. Not sturdy. JMHO.

Back
Top Bottom