Temporarily attaching temp coop to temp run?

You might want to reconsider the 1/4 hardware cloth. Unless you can get it 19 gauge wire it really won't keep larger predators such as raccoons and coyotes out. The 1/4 inch stuff is usually a much softer grade of wire. Not sturdy. JMHO.
Pretty much too late as three of the sides of the run are already covered with the 1/4" stuff. We have coyotes up in the mountains but havent seen them down this far into residential areas. Raccoons visit occasionally. My primary predator concerns are the local feral cat colony and hawks.

I'll keep this in mind for when I'm getting hardware cloth for the permanent run.

Building our permanent coop and run has had a few set backs and delays. I'm working on putting together a temporary run and prefab coop for my 3.5 week old chicks.

I got a small run built and am just working on reinforcing the cheap chicken wire with hardware cloth around the bottom plus adding an apron to prevent predators digging under.

After that I'll need to assemble the prefab coop and move the chicks in.

Originally I was just going to put the coop inside the run and call it good enough, but am starting to realize the coop will take up a lot of valuable space in the run.

I was thinking I'd like to set up the coop outside of the run. But I cant think of a way to cut a hole in the wire and securely attach the coop to the run, but in a temporary way.

The location of the temp coop and run is also temporary! I'd like to be able to disassemble and move everything as needed.

The coop is made out of a composite blend of recycled polymers and reclaimed wood fiber by-products. I'm not sure how much abuse it would take attaching and detaching things to it.

Any ideas??

View attachment 3546085

AJFCJaUukydjflmfDasyAs-DxvReGgwCZiowJXIulx5bo_xNWANayJJv1QX4_T0N85Ew3G1N2B0jHrXYHwj7SU0Jhx9suXFo_ZsWCR6LkAU1TUWYcHTCw-uYEsYCCnGDNiN2b6R1rUi1A7KHmjYg7k_sOQQnpIlQw-_6ZYYcFX9Di67MV-5Xd6_jwvvJBcMczOEqbx2w5YprocapFZe0kO7ngOUnZP--DqCWnhkysbiBaSV-uqLpjFWJ6wuqIyRAnqRfc3rBoXBSgmFO3kq1H4dDeX0M7xwrbcUBel9VYUJqCBO1yis58-24yeEmaPspWtwldfNSnfdIMxzH86A-bgjyrqmGykfjxPmDs3Vm_86XHmJUhQS05YWGVa_jLDMUQ704SroNTyDBSh9MSnas8vHYWq32Uzdln6U0mF53aNGl502Gggf2UHFiImEPfD3cBy8jcE7j0QkTrUy7Zw0V-vVXXT0EIXY9PqHXd9nh37b3tj1YrwH9pkGlod3RGbHX7_-YxHx3maR64iUiVn33VqTasAHj3kQb2F-q8c3AtO6u5YrCUIQos-lGY_disQJnGHpyGU-tsLMzzXVCcdiO-L-LswLyPilO7MZ2lp_0GYxthEpIrlsPSlbB9dZhtY7NhuivHsPGk0eFv1M19BxwGZdEpyJkYucubw-DJJx1bgtyXqKWqHB3zix5cIfTz2bQpdhAkbrwQqobJsoMF4WnxbsULi14kX0QXC8uMurAAz-R-_vAwa8rxR_U38mnheaspbqkVlrlfKOXwIR1_flbiNuikNsQh6IBMe5tCKO6R0y6g8JFdKwmxp1_ibRryOQgg_m9ZVL8DMZfeF2es7I3j3XN3kPa1mlPk1LjRK57az5QkctvWrFDGx_rBJPvuQbS6EuFRv0zkDEZ6F_sUGhyipemo8Y=w1238-h1386-s-no
I bought a coop like that this year as a grow out coop, I don't need the nest box so completely did away with it. Also there are 4 triangles in each corner of the floor, I added HWC and screwed the floor down. It's working great! I put it in my breeding pen, and am on my 3rd batch of chicks being integrated. Here is a pic of what I did. If you zoom in on the first pic you can see the triangles in the corners

Attachments

• 20230513_163252.jpg
    20230513_163252.jpg
    815.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230513_173942.jpg
    20230513_173942.jpg
    661.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230513_181930.jpg
    20230513_181930.jpg
    991.5 KB · Views: 20
How did you attach the zip ties to the coop? And that looks like the same brand coop as I have, EcoFlex? How do you like it and how has it held up?
Yes it is the XL EcoFlex that is about 4 years old now and still going strong. Very sturdy. It’s a little dirty but hopefully you can see the ties in this pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    763.3 KB · Views: 18
I bought a coop like that this year as a grow out coop, I don't need the nest box so completely did away with it. Also there are 4 triangles in each corner of the floor, I added HWC and screwed the floor down. It's working great! I put it in my breeding pen, and am on my 3rd batch of chicks being integrated. Here is a pic of what I did. If you zoom in on the first pic you can see the triangles in the corners

That's a great modification.

You might make an article about it to help people who are in a similar situation.

It's summer. Do you even actually *need* the little coop?

Camp Cockerel is made from a shade pavilion frame and tarps. You might want a little more of the wire tarped since you're further north, but it's summer. :D
Probably not, but we do get some driving sideways rain here. I'd also rather them have something fully enclosed. And to start getting used to the idea of going into a coop at night.

Last edited:
I also put a lock on the door, the little twist deal on there just wasn't going to cut it
I got some hasps to put on the ramp door and the lid of the nesting box with locking carabiners to hold them closed.

The latch on the run is ridiculously flimsy also so I also got a chain and another locking carabiner to reinforce that too.

That's a great modification.

You might make an article about it to help people who are in a similar situation.
I was thinking about it, but didn't take pictures through the whole process, so it would just be a lot of explaining, but it really is working out great! I have a brooder in the coop but had hatches back to back and needed more space. So while I'd have 3 day olds in the coop brooder, I'd have 3 week olds out in the grow out coop, by the time the littles were a few weeks old the 6 week olds were out with the big girls so I'd move them and start their integration. It has been very smooth

I saw the notches in the floor and don't get why they'd have those at all.

Dang, it looks like the roof channel pieces attach to the two top triangular sections of the side walls. I was hoping I could leave those two pieces out and cover the gap with hardware cloth.

Looks like I might have to end up cutting holes into some sections instead. I kinda do want to have the nest box attached, never know when you might need it and it would help keep inside the coop weather proof in our crazy down (side) pours.

Back
Top Bottom