temporary coop

tamsteve143

Songster
6 Years
May 10, 2015
I have 7 week old chicks, seven of them, I have 4 adult hens that are 4 yrs old, of course the babies can't be put with the adult ones yet and they are outgrowing the dog crate in the utility room, I need some recommenditions on a coop to buy that is predator proof, don't want to spend alot. My husband built our last coop and run which I love but he has been working so much he has no time to build something for the chicks and they really should be outside. We will just put the coop in the run until we can put them all together then use it for other purposes, sick chickens or whatever. Thank you and please show me some that are good to keep these babies protected!!!

That sounds like it would work, especially if using an inexpensive, ready made coop. Just make sure you have enough roosting space inside for the wee ones. But honestly, if you are putting it inside an existing run right now, putting together a wooden box with a door and a roof would likely be less expensive than the flimsy coops they sell commercially. Just a thought.

How much is "not alot"?

How big is your coop, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help.
Can you section off part of the coop for the youngsters?

Attachments

• 3365647B-2FFA-4DD7-818F-B001CC2D2EBD.jpeg
    3365647B-2FFA-4DD7-818F-B001CC2D2EBD.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 7B1DE35A-2CA5-4142-8465-DD24BB74F638.jpeg
    7B1DE35A-2CA5-4142-8465-DD24BB74F638.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • E0A39A93-44F3-4CB7-B4F9-FEDA31B5A3D3.jpeg
    E0A39A93-44F3-4CB7-B4F9-FEDA31B5A3D3.jpeg
    813.1 KB · Views: 19
The coop itself isn’t that big to divide it up for the babies hubby built the coop and run

What's the structure at the other end of run, would it work as shelter for the youngsters?
Then divide the run?
we have a tunnel that goes from the small run where the coop is to the big run, I can divide the big run, i was actually going to buy a small coop for that purpose and put it in the big run until we put them all together with the big hens. right now the chicks are in a big dog crate inside a utility room.

I have 7 week old chicks, seven of them, I have 4 adult hens that are 4 yrs old, of course the babies can't be put with the adult ones yet and they are outgrowing the dog crate in the utility room, I need some recommenditions on a coop to buy that is predator proof, don't want to spend alot. My husband built our last coop and run which I love but he has been working so much he has no time to build something for the chicks and they really should be outside. We will just put the coop in the run until we can put them all together then use it for other purposes, sick chickens or whatever. Thank you and please show me some that are good to keep these babies protected!!!
For chicks, pullets assumed. A cardboard box and some wire barrier, so they can interact. To keep the old from new till they acclimatize to one another's presence.. 2 - 3 days generally.

Back
Top Bottom