Temporary setup for guineas?

sunnie7

Crowing
7 Years
Oct 24, 2016
Southern Indiana
We free range but I needed a temporary set up for when they outgrow the dog crate in the garage until they are fully grown and ready to start slowly letting loose with my other adults. My adults roost under the backside of the kids playhouse, we had this extra dog kennel....in shocked it fit. We still have a lot of dirt leveling and filling to do but it’s coming along quite nice after only 4 hours of work today so far. My question is do you think if we just use chicken wire 2’ up for the inside that will enough? I know chicken wife isn’t ideal but this is temporary and I figured the main purpose is to keep the guinea in, the kennel and the hardware cloth apron should keep most predators out I think.....
68C87C34-BE87-47A0-A52B-B1B93AF2BDC9.jpeg

We free range but I needed a temporary set up for when they outgrow the dog crate in the garage until they are fully grown and ready to start slowly letting loose with my other adults. My adults roost under the backside of the kids playhouse, we had this extra dog kennel....in shocked it fit. We still have a lot of dirt leveling and filling to do but it’s coming along quite nice after only 4 hours of work today so far. My question is do you think if we just use chicken wire 2’ up for the inside that will enough? I know chicken wife isn’t ideal but this is temporary and I figured the main purpose is to keep the guinea in, the kennel and the hardware cloth apron should keep most predators out I think.....View attachment 2180075
I think it would work as long as you don't have any predators that are small enough to fit through the dog kennel bars.

We free range but I needed a temporary set up for when they outgrow the dog crate in the garage until they are fully grown and ready to start slowly letting loose with my other adults. My adults roost under the backside of the kids playhouse, we had this extra dog kennel....in shocked it fit. We still have a lot of dirt leveling and filling to do but it’s coming along quite nice after only 4 hours of work today so far. My question is do you think if we just use chicken wire 2’ up for the inside that will enough? I know chicken wife isn’t ideal but this is temporary and I figured the main purpose is to keep the guinea in, the kennel and the hardware cloth apron should keep most predators out I think.....View attachment 2180075
Cute! A lot of predators can defeat chicken wire. Raccoons can reach through, and snakes can enter. We lost two juvenile Guineas last year when a rat snake got into some small gaps that I missed....

Cute! A lot of predators can defeat chicken wire. Raccoons can reach through, and snakes can enter. We lost two juvenile Guineas last year when a rat snake got into some small gaps that I missed....

I ended up buying a 50ft roll of both! We used 2ft hardware cloth around the bottom. We do have snakes and owls in IN but neither have been an issues so far since we have lived here and had chickens and guineas for the past 1.5 years. That I have witnessed our main predators are foxes and coyotes.
When snakes and raccoons get in do they usually get in from the bottom? I think my weakness would be a raccoon climbing and reaching through while they roost. I do also have my German Shepherd that we recently moved his kennel where he can see the guineas that I’m sure if a raccoon came around would go crazy!

I ended up buying a 50ft roll of both! We used 2ft hardware cloth around the bottom. We do have snakes and owls in IN but neither have been an issues so far since we have lived here and had chickens and guineas for the past 1.5 years. That I have witnessed our main predators are foxes and coyotes.
When snakes and raccoons get in do they usually get in from the bottom? I think my weakness would be a raccoon climbing and reaching through while they roost. I do also have my German Shepherd that we recently moved his kennel where he can see the guineas that I’m sure if a raccoon came around would go crazy!
I think that the raccoons are usually standing in the ground when they reach in, though they are sneaky and clever. If they work as a team to crowd birds to one side so another can grab them, then they would be reaching from the ground. I think a lot of people just cover the bottom few feet in hardware cloth like you are doing. I’m sure you are right that your dog would let you know if raccoons are afoot! You are so lucky you don’t have snake issues where you are! They are so hard to guard against!

I think that the raccoons are usually standing in the ground when they reach in, though they are sneaky and clever. If they work as a team to crowd birds to one side so another can grab them, then they would be reaching from the ground. I think a lot of people just cover the bottom few feet in hardware cloth like you are doing. I’m sure you are right that your dog would let you know if raccoons are afoot! You are so lucky you don’t have snake issues where you are! They are so hard to guard against!

I’ve never seen a snake on our property; my husband has seen a couple small black snakes or garden snakes way down by the driveway ditch but I’ve never had an issue with them.

We worked all weekend on my bird set ups!!! We added a lean to on the chicken/ duck coop because rain was getting into the window, also needed better covering for feeders! Minus a little work around the door the guinea set up is ready! My hands and back hurt from all that hardware cloth and moving dirt! My guineas are 4 weeks old and I took them off the heat lamp this weekend. It’s been in high 80’s low 90’s here and it’s HOT in my garage where they currently are. I think I’m going to plan on moving them outside in a week to 10 days. I just hatched 27 keets this weekend (so far, 6 more eggs in the incubator still) so I’m going to be ready to move then out soon!
81A5B1B4-991E-492B-A2C5-A047227DEA92.jpeg
8C9F6125-8224-4E3E-8C91-B223EB71A5EA.jpeg
D57A1C2B-DE37-49B0-A4F1-27E2D79F869B.jpeg

We worked all weekend on my bird set ups!!! We added a lean to on the chicken/ duck coop because rain was getting into the window, also needed better covering for feeders! Minus a little work around the door the guinea set up is ready! My hands and back hurt from all that hardware cloth and moving dirt! My guineas are 4 weeks old and I took them off the heat lamp this weekend. It’s been in high 80’s low 90’s here and it’s HOT in my garage where they currently are. I think I’m going to plan on moving them outside in a week to 10 days. I just hatched 27 keets this weekend (so far, 6 more eggs in the incubator still) so I’m going to be ready to move then out soon!
View attachment 2182432View attachment 2182433View attachment 2182434
Wow, what a pretty place you have!!! :love I love the mixed flock of chickens and ducks too. Lucky guineas to have their own swing set!

Back
Top Bottom