Terramycin in water for new chicks?

IMO, it's the fact that coccidiosis can kill a little chick so fast that it makes good sense to go ahead and use the medicated feed, at least for the first 6 weeks when they are most prone to dying from it. If you already have the terramycin on hand, keep it in your chicken first aid kit for real illnesses that it would treat, but use it only for illness; not as a preventive.
I believe fresh clean water is best for chicks, even newly hatched ones. It's what my chicks got and the only time I added anything was when they were a bit older and we had a long stretch of 100 + degree days. Then I added poultry electrolytes and discountinued them when the weather turned cooler.

TSC doesnt sell medicated feed. But I do like buying my scratch from them. Its cheaper than anywhere else around here. Plus DH's aunt works there so I get a small discount.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Im not a chicken expert, so another BYCer may correct me if Im wrong, but Ive heard if you get the Marek's vac. you dont want to get medicated feed. I was told they cancel each other out. But Im not 100% pos.
idunno.gif

Quote:
Im not a chicken expert, so another BYCer may correct me if Im wrong, but Ive heard if you get the Marek's vac. you dont want to get medicated feed. I was told they cancel each other out. But Im not 100% pos.
idunno.gif

Amprolium in medicated chick starter has nothing to do with Marek's.

I have another question. Why did she sell you starter for turkeys and gamebirds? Chicks don't need more than 20% protein. More than that is wasted.

My recommendation is medicated "chick" starter. Return the terramycin...unless you just want to have it on hand for "just in case".

Back
Top Bottom