Terramycin vs Corid which one should I give my chicken?

emalpica

Hatching
Apr 22, 2021
Hi y'all new chicken owner here. One of my hens started acting sick. Her droppings are normal now (more solid) but they used to be watery and diarrhea like. Her symptoms are as follow: Sneezing, sleepy ( sleeps through out the day), tired almost lethargic with no energy, she is also currently molting, puts head under wing a lot, basks in a sunny spot whenever possible, she is eating and drinking good but not as much as my other hen. She also closes her eyes and bobs her head up and down sometimes (watch video for symptoms being shown)
I've isolated her from my flock, given her VetRx 40259 Poultry Remedy, garlic and also tried apple cider vinegar.
Right now I am debating if I should give her Terramycin tablets or Corid 9.6% Oral Solution in her water.
I am not sure if what she has is bacterial or viral....

Corid is for specifically treating cocciadosis. Terramycin is an antibacterial ophthalmic gel. I highly doubt either of those will help; cocciadosis is more common in younger birds I would separate this chicken and check for egg binding / check the crop in the morning / report back with more symptoms.

Corid is for specifically treating cocciadosis. Terramycin is an antibacterial ophthalmic gel. I highly doubt either of those will help; cocciadosis is more common in younger birds I would separate this chicken and check for egg binding / check the crop in the morning / report back with more symptoms.
It's true that bacterial eye infections are treated with Terramycin eye ointment. Terramycin antibiotic is also available in tablets or soluble powder to treat bacterial respiratory diseases in poultry.

Hi y'all new chicken owner here. One of my hens started acting sick. Her droppings are normal now (more solid) but they used to be watery and diarrhea like. Her symptoms are as follow: Sneezing, sleepy ( sleeps through out the day), tired almost lethargic with no energy, she is also currently molting, puts head under wing a lot, basks in a sunny spot whenever possible, she is eating and drinking good but not as much as my other hen. She also closes her eyes and bobs her head up and down sometimes (watch video for symptoms being shown)
I've isolated her from my flock, given her VetRx 40259 Poultry Remedy, garlic and also tried apple cider vinegar.
Right now I am debating if I should give her Terramycin tablets or Corid 9.6% Oral Solution in her water.
I am not sure if what she has is bacterial or viral....
Welcome to BYC.
Since your hen is eating and drinking, it would be best to start with the terramycin. Give it a few days and see if there's improvement and let us know how she's doing. I recommend giving her one drop of Poultry Nutri Drench twice a day for no more than 5 days. I also recommend that you worm her with Safeguard liquid goat wormer AFTER the terramycin treatment. Capillary worms can also cause the symptoms you're seeing.
For a 5 pound hen, the Safeguard dosage is 1.25ml given orally for 5 days. Consider worming your other hen also.

Back
Top Bottom