Terrified chicks??

Chirpchirp19

Songster
Mar 11, 2019
Western New York
Hey everyone! My fiance and I got chicks about a week and a half to 2 weeks ago. The chicks are roughly 3 weeks this week and deathly afraid of us. I try to handle them when I am in the room or whenever I am cleaning, feeding or watering. Is there anything I can do to make them not so scared? Even when we just walk in the room they are fleeing to the corner farthest from us.

Thanks in advanced!

What breeds are they? Some are more skittish than others.
With my chicks I snuggle they several times a day. Usually I stuff them in my shirt or in a blanket and talk to them like a mother hen would. Also finger feeding helps. Sorta like peck the food with your finger. I also keep mine in an aquarium in my bedroom so they can see me always. I will come to the glass and they usually like to try to pick my teeth. Lol
Good luck!

What breeds are they? Some are more skittish than others.
With my chicks I snuggle they several times a day. Usually I stuff them in my shirt or in a blanket and talk to them like a mother hen would. Also finger feeding helps. Sorta like peck the food with your finger. I also keep mine in an aquarium in my bedroom so they can see me always. I will come to the glass and they usually like to try to pick my teeth. Lol
Good luck!
The breeds are a bit confusing, when we got them they were mixed in with others, tractor supply had it set up so weird this year! :barnie I figured I would wait a couple more weeks and figure that out.
I will try snuggling them though! Thank you!

I will come to the glass and they usually like to try to pick my teeth. Lol
Good luck!

What is it with birds and teeth? Seems every bird I've ever had before (parrots) are obsessed with picking human's teeth.

OP.... definitely feed them by hand. Let them peck out of your hand. When they get old enough (a week?) given them a small treat by hand. Once they associate you with the good food, they'll become little pigs that gather around you hoping for the next hand-out. (this seems to work with every animal out there. I've even trained opossums this way, and they turn out to be lap-dogs).

What is it with birds and teeth? Seems every bird I've ever had before (parrots) are obsessed with picking human's teeth.

OP.... definitely feed them by hand. Let them peck out of your hand. When they get old enough (a week?) given them a small treat by hand. Once they associate you with the good food, they'll become little pigs that gather around you hoping for the next hand-out. (this seems to work with every animal out there. I've even trained opossums this way, and they turn out to be lap-dogs).
What are some good treats to offer them at 3 weeks? I am so outdated with chickens I forgot so much :(

Maybe they are afraid of be handled when they haven't even learned to trust yet. Different breeds act different & some just like coming near for food treats without being snatched up for who knows what reason; their instincts are strong to keep safe (fight or flight instincts ). They need a reason to trust us, so I ftequently offer an un-intimadating open hand of chick starter food so they get curious & start to peck; it takes patience to make friends. Best wishes.

Patience is a virtue...... but I dunno. With mine, they just kinda thought of me as their mother since I was the first thing they saw. Perhaps you can put on a chicken suit and start clucking away and see if they follow you around and gain your trust.

EEAA260B-459F-46A0-93A3-7578AC4015FC.jpeg
Try putting chick feed in the palm of your hand and set your hand down in the brooder.. they should eventually come up and start scratching around and eating out of your hand... plus, when you go to catch them go extremely sloooooow towards them.. that has worked for me cuz I have two that are skittish.. and my brooder has a door and when I open it they hop up and I put my hand out and they will sit on my hand.. they seem to get happy when just sitting next to them talking.. they will learn to trust you...

Treats are a great idea to help tame them. Make sure they have access to grit for digestion, then they can have a little bit of dried mealworms, small bits of fruit, etc.

Otherwise spend time with them as you can, talk softly when walking into the room, and when reaching in for them, move slowly and if possible let them approach your hand rather than grabbing at them (if they come to you, give them a treat to encourage it). If you have the space for it make a small enclosure that's big enough for you to sit in, then let them out and let them come to you and explore you.

Back
Top Bottom