Terrified Guinea Keets!

Thanks!
smile.png

I have to tell you...I have a lone guinea that I got from a friend because she had spraddle-leg...and that little girl was *buckwheating* at 3 days old ;-)

I have to tell you...I have a lone guinea that I got from a friend because she had spraddle-leg...and that little girl was *buckwheating* at 3 days old ;-)

LOL... I had forty in a brooder and could hear double peeps quite often Just couldnt identify which ones were doing it. The boys go Peep Peep Peep Peep...... The girls would go Peep-Peep... Peep-Peep, But you have to watch listen and be ready to grab and identify.

deb

I own guinea but have never been able to tame 1. I do whistle with the hens though. You will find out what I mean later. They are somewhat trainable but I think untameable. You gotta love em though :)

I have 4 adult guineas and they have hatched out some babies, well we started out with 4 and now they have 3 so I have took the babies and put them in a cage until they get big enough to survive on their own, but they keep squalling and they act like they r scared to death. What can I do to calm/quiet them down? I don't want to loose them so should I keep them outside in the cage or bring them my house?
tongue.png

Keets are skittish by nature, they are rarely calm like chicks or other domesticated poultry that tames easily, especially if not handling immediately after they are hatched and dry. Since they've already been with their Momma their survival instincts have kicked in full blast already so you can expect them to continue to show fear. Try taping a mirror to the wall in their brooder and turn on a radio in the room they are in,that sometimes helps quiet noisy keets down. They are missing their Momma, but will get over it, eventually... you just have to ride it out. Make sure they are eating and drinking, especially drinking... you may need to pick each one up and dip their beak in their water a few times a day to keep them hydrated thru the stress period, and it helps to sprinkle their starter feed crumbles on a paper towel in front of them.The bouncing and the noise will encourage them to eat. Also make sure they can get away from their heat source... by having the lamp at one end of the brooder.it needs to be 95°-90°, and most lower the temp 5° each week until their brooder temps are equal to the ambient temps (either by raising the lamp or using a lower watt bulb).

I have got 4 adult guineas that has hatched out some babies, we was gonna leave them with there mother but we have already lost one (mine run free) so I have put the babies in a cage until they get big enough to run around with the others. Is there anything I can do to keep them quiet?

SORRY I didn't see the other replies to this question until I posted again.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom