Terrified Hens

I have one hen who was afraid as a chick and never calmed down. She used to flush when I came close to the aviary until I figured out her preferred "escape route" and placed a bunch of cover there. Now she just does a very nervous dart for cover when I'm inside with them.

I've spied on her from inside the house, and she acts totally normal when humans are absent, so I figure she's living her best life most of the time.

The idea is in the genetics. Friendly birds are more likely to produce friendly offapring. No point in having birds that try to kill themselves when you need to mess with them

Has anyone proved (I mean "down to a science") that friendliness or calm demeanor is heritable in quail? Not every trait is passed on genetically.

Keep in mind that what is heritable in one animal is not necessarily equally (or at all) heritable in another.

I'd love to see a study on the heritability of friendliness in quails (or chickens) if somebody has a link handy. The biologist in me is doubtful of backyard science, but the backyard scientist in me says it could happen.

Has anyone proved (I mean "down to a science") that friendliness or calm demeanor is heritable in quail? Not every trait is passed on genetically.
I have only one girl laying eggs, so I incubated them. She is soo sweet and calm and all of her children (but one :idunno) are calm and like being held (like her). I had a "crazy" one and I incubated her eggs and the children were, well, all crazy! No science, just my observations! If there is any that would be super neat!!!

CULL them because they are frightened of you?!

Ignore my outburst, yes they should get used to you.
The reason I asked about culling is because if they’re that stressed, will they even produce eggs(they harm themselves to get away)
The rest are all used to me and are very calm, walk up to me even.

Back
Top Bottom