Terrorized by roosters! HELP!

Quote:
Well, I removed the rooster's spurs!! It was easy. I did the twist off method with the pliers. Those boys both had really long and sharp spurs, now they just have fleshy little stumps!

I did work with the big rooster. I hypnotized him until he was flat out on the ground and didn't move for a while! I don't know if it will work or not. That remains to be seen.

The little guy however, I didn't work with as much and when I put him on the ground, he came at me right away... minus his spurs of course. He took two shots at me and his spur stumps started to bleed and he backed down! Maybe that will teach him?

I'm wearing my boots for the time being, and hoping for the best, but I did tell my husband that if this doesn't cure them, I'm going to start carrying a 2 by 4 with me and the next time either one of those guys takes a shot at me, I'm going to clobber him for the last time... I'm going to whack him til' he's dead next time! My DH knows I'm serious and he didn't say a word in protest.
wink.png

You go girl!! If it comes to whacking the roos, maybe a "OOPS" whack to the side of hubby's head too?
gig.gif

I would not put up with it.I had one peck me for the 3rd time and he was done.scrawny guy,,,good chicken sandwich.No need for a mean rooster.I would not put up with it!!! Kevin

Well, things were going pretty good with the roos up until this morning.

The big one came after me for some reason. Even without spurs he managed to break skin and leave a big lump which will bruise, through my jeans! I grabbed the bugger and wrestled him to the ground, holding his head down until he stopped struggling and kept his head down. When he eventually got up, I chased and chased him until he ran back into the coop. He actually made his spur stumps bleed, since his spurs were removed.

I don't know what to do now? My husband had better remedy this or else I will, with a 2x4 to that rooster's head next time!

I have to agree with anyone who has said to get rid of the roosters one way or the other. I wouldn't even be deceitful about what you are doing with them to your husband. I would just tell him that you are getting rid of them (cooking or rehoming whichever you prefer) and if he wants to discuss the matter I would just point to your scars, bruises, lumps and cuts and "explain" to him that it is not going to happen any more. Chickens should be enjoyed not feared (and I am not saying that you don't have the guts to deal with them while out in the yard). I had a young cockerel that was starting to challenge me. I chased him around, I caught him and carried him around and yet he still wanted to square up on me. He became dinner before he could go into full attack mode. I understand that they can get hormonal while they are "teenagers" but I have another cockerel who is the same age and has never challenged me. He is still out in the coop. I will not have an animal terrorizing me. Think of it this way, if it was your dog that was going after you, you wouldn't allow it to happen and I would guess that your DH wouldn't either. Again, not saying that you are allowing or encouraging this behavoir, just sometimes they are set on being human aggressive.

I'm baffled by you deferring to your DH's wishes in keeping those horrid roosters. I'd tell my husband "Either the roosters go or I go." Or maybe I'd tell him "Either the roosters go or YOU go." Either way I would be roosterless. If you beat one to death, would you still be able to use the meat (cause then it wouldn't bleed out)?? So go ahead and stick'em in a killing cone and do it right. Start enjoying your chickens again.

Try this...

Taming Wild Roosters83
rate or flag this pageBy Jerilee Wei

The Master Rooster Tamer
There are bee charmers, snake charmers, dog whisperers, and horse whisperers -- and then there are those who can tame a rooster. From the very moment I met the rooster tamer, I was both jealous and in awe.

Admittedly, I tend to be a know-it-all, when it comes to some subjects -- and the subject of poultry was one of my areas of expertise. Highly competitive, I was being upstaged, out-witted, and humbled. It's true, the older you get, the more you realize how little you really know.

This was a chance encounter, the woman was lost and had come to me for directions. She was scheduled to speak before a group of young people in the 4-H program, who were training to show their chickens in competition. She was so fascinating to talk to, that we ended up inviting ourselves to her lecture.

Before the day was over, this seemingly less educated woman, taught me to question everything I thought I knew, about both raising poultry and taming roosters. Before her lecture was done, I had to admit to myself, she was undoubtedly one of the smartest people I've ever met. I had met ultimate master rooster tamer, and having been pecked and flopped by many an angry rooster -- I am eternally grateful.

Back
Top Bottom