Terrorizing my chickens.

Yeah falconry is amazing! I didn't want to seem bias to the birds of prey in my previous post, but I am working very hard towards getting a license in falconry. It's a good thing to bring up, really interesting. I have met several falconers in my area and I have wanted to go into falconry since the second grade!

A little of topic, but these are my two favorite animals - both birds of prey.

This is a Philippine Eagle, they are endangered and endemic to the Philippines. Big powerful birds, I love their eyes! :)

This other one is a great horned owl! They live locally in my area and they are awe-mazing! I have met a falconer with one; you really appreciate how powerful they are when you meet one in real life. They have been known to go after foxes, raccoons, and even fawns. One of the few animals to tussle with coons, pretty impressive. Last time I checked foxes and coons eat chickens, another reason to like these owls.
+ They are nocturnal witch really lowers the chances of one getting one of your birds.

I get that not everyone can be a naturalist, but they can at least have respect for wild animals! No need to shoot every problem you have, and if you have a problem with a fox or coon you can trap it and relocate it if you really must!! As for raptor problems there are plenty of suggestions that aren't lethal in this thread. I have another one to add to the pile: You can buy a plastic model of an owl to put around your coop, they deter hawks and other aerial animals!

-I don't take credit for the images BTW, found them on google lol

Last edited:
hi all, still here and going to carry on in what i think is right and by law i would shoot a dog to protect my livestock after the first warning to the owner has be told by Law . good evening mike. p.s i do love all animals my grandson in the pic and my yard dog has more respect than most humans do that`s a fact.

Last edited:
We just moved to a house where there is a hawk's nest with 4 hawks, we think a mom, dad,and 2 juveniles. It took a while to figure out how to hawk proof our chickens. They have gotten 4 chickens, we had some younger, smaller breed chicks and 2 were small enough to squeeze through the fence. One they sat and ate right inside the fence :( we finally figured out how to hawk proof the entire fenced area by totally covering it with chicken wire. Now the hawks fly all around but can't get in. They sometimes land on the gate and stare down the rooster. I think they will eventually go away. The way I see it is that it is my responsibility to protect my chickens. It was a tough learning curve, I have to admit. Call me crazy but I do like the hawks, I think they are majestic and beautiful.

I've had chickens for a long time, and find raptors to be les of a problem than Racoons, possums, or foxes. Not to mentions dogs. Hawks will take one bird, and return maybe a couple of days later, for another bird. Locking the flock is a covered run and coop discourages the hawk, she moves on, problem solved. One fox, daytime, ten nice laying hens dead! Much worse, and not fixed until the fox is killed. Coons and possums require very serious coop and run construction, and weasels and rats the same. Banty, it's not true that foxes and coons can be relocated, and trapped critters will find another place to get chickens, and won't get into another trap! Here in Michigan, a trapped coon or fox can be moved only on your own property, or to private land within the same county, with landowner permission. Mary

Folly and others,

There are places where you can relocate animals, I don't know about where you live. Granted, there are laws that prohibit relocation in some areas and many animals learn to avoid traps. However, if relocation is done right by smart people who do their research it can be a good option. I am not a relocation fanatic, since it can mess with the balance of predators and prey, but it is not an ineffective option if done right! A quick google search can teach ya how to do it, but several resources discourage it for reasons previously stated. I still think that it is better than shooting the predators though. That's my unwavering opinion on the matter.

If we kill all of the predator animals in our areas, the entire balance of that area can be easily offset. I agree with trapping loose pets though, more animals effecting the sensitive balance of nature.

-El

tmfineg,
Nice job predator proofing your coop, that's living with nature done right!
thumbsup.gif

-El

I've had chickens for a long time, and find raptors to be les of a problem than Racoons, possums, or foxes.  Not to mentions dogs.  Hawks will take one bird, and return maybe a couple of days later, for another bird.  Locking the flock is a covered run and coop discourages the hawk, she moves on, problem solved. One fox, daytime, ten nice laying hens dead!  Much worse, and not fixed until the fox is killed.  Coons and possums require very serious coop and run construction, and weasels and rats the same.  Banty, it's not true that foxes and coons can be relocated, and trapped critters will find another place to get chickens, and won't get into another trap!  Here in Michigan, a trapped coon or fox can be moved only on your own property, or to private land within the same county, with landowner permission.  Mary

Not to mention, coon are an invasive species. They bring in disease and people gladly feed them delicious dumpsters full of snacks, trap them, then dump them by the river, ASSUMING that it's free and happy.... Forgetting that my property is there, and I find a relocated coon, its DEALT WITH. then and there. They are cute and cuddly and disgustingly diseased and uncontrolled populations and relocations wreak havoc on the ecosystem too. I see someone dumping a coon and I will shoot it, its cute little babies, and set traps all over the place to catch more. I feed them to the chickens, so they are useful for SOMETHING at least.

I would really think about putting up an electric fence, it would really keep any things away from your chickens... and they are very easy to put up...

I've done the electric fence thing. It works very well, especially on people! Lol. :) Another thing I have used is the exploderz ammo that you can buy off amazon and one of the guns that shoots it. Sort of like shooting jello at them. Stings, is annoying but doesn't do any real harm. Works great on stray dogs, cats, kids, husbands. Sort of like a paintball but doesn't hurt anywhere near as bad. Might leave a red mark if fired at VERY close range. (spring operated not co2)

Back
Top Bottom