Testing the Milk Jug Feeder Idea

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Brad83, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Brad83

Brad83 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2009
    Bartow, FL
    Hi Everyone! [​IMG]
    I was just looking at some empty jugs in the garage and thought I would try one out as a feeder. I just cut out the circle indention on the jug and the opening was big enough for the hens to eat and there was enough space for plenty of feed. Then I used some wire laying around to hang it up.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

It does not hold a lot, but then that is not a big deal for me right now. I dont have that many hens & I am working on my coop. The hens liked it and they don't spill much feed either. No tipping over of the feeder because it is off the ground. I made a second one so there would not be a line LOL. It is not the best feeder to fill [​IMG], but I just use a funnel to pour the feed in quick with out spilling. I am going to make a larger feeder later when I have time [​IMG], maybe like the 5 gallon bucket type I have seen. This was just one of those "lets see how it works" [​IMG] moments. It is different so thought I would share.

2. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    I like that idea. [​IMG]
    We recycle and try to re-use when we can. Some of my feeders in breeder pens with pairs, is a cottage cheese container. I put 2 little holes in the top and wire it to the pen. They work great!!

3. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

We use those ALL over the place here, I bet we have at least a dozen of them... although i cut out a much larger space for them to eat through. The handle itself makes it easy to hang from. And my feeder ones are cut out around the front part at the pour spout (top) so that my feed scoop slides right in.

I also use them for waterers too but do not cut out the top for a scoop.

4. Lynn57

Lynn57 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    Great idea! I think using a canola jug would work even better though as it's five times the size and has a nice large opening on top.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by