Testing the Waters

hcammack

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 5, 2007
Vermont
THESE ARE NOT AVAILABLE TILL SPRING AT THE EARLIEST!!!!!!!!!!
smile.png

I may be able to keep a rooster. I won't be able to sell eggs until next fall and unless something happens they won't be pure breeds. The mixes are

Blue Ameraucana over

buff and blue wheaten ameraucana hens
cuckoo marans hens
blue marans hen
black copper marans hen
welsummer hens
Delaware hens
a Leghorn hen
and a faverolle hen

I think these babies would look pretty cool I have no idea if I will actually be able to keep him but I am just testing the waters. These eggs would probably be $10 - $15 dollars a dozen + shipping

Thanks,
Henry

Last edited:
I wish Maryland weren't so far away.... or that there were a way to ship eggs that would keep them from getting scrambled.

Quote:
I will practice with eggs these next two weeks as the birds are on Tylan and I don't want to eat them so I will wrap them up and throw them out the windows or mail them back to myself or something
tongue.png

Henry we did the off the roof test. We marked eggs wrapped them different ways then dropped them off a two story roof and put them in the hot garage overnight then the fridge for two days.

The ones that hatched the best are our current packing methods. There is a thread on packing eggs over in the incubating section and all our tested packaging is there.

I think your proposed crosses will make cute hardy birds and $10 a doz is peanuts!

Mahonri when are you going to get that 'bator and let me send you some eggs to hatch? How about a mixed 10 pack you would wind up with 5 hens from that.

Last edited:
Quote:
They would just be pretty mutts first lets see if this blue ameraucana boy puts on enough swag and sweetness to convince my parents and neighbors
big_smile.png
I will try dropping them off the roof just for fun no bator though
sad.png
Their would be some pretty cool EE's and olive eggers in this bunch. I might just give them away if I can get him breeding and then my Mom tells me to get rid of him then I want my girlies to have some babies so I would just give them away so I can hear about the babies
wink.png
Hopefully a girl goes broody while I have him so I can have some of my own. I made this post because my cuckoo Marans hen layed an egg today and my Ameraucana gave me an egg today for the first time in two months
big_smile.png
They are done molting celebration dance!!!!

These won't be ready for a while I know they aren't fertile because the rooster is still very young! Sorry I was just gaging interest. These won't be available till spring
wink.png
and only for a few weeks then it all depends on how loud this boy is I am only home for a short time as I am going to boarding school for this semester.
Oh and here is the boy only a week ago so he has a ways to go!
DSCN0067.jpg

Here are the eggs I got today from my hens
DSCN0104.jpg

here is my custom egg carton
DSCN0103.jpg

Thanks,
Henry

Last edited:
The blue ameraucana with the blue marans is tempting. I want some potential olive laying EE, mine only lay light blue so far, and I love the blue-grey birds. Let me know if you start cracking open fertile maran eggs and want to sell.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom