Tetracycline dosage for chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Critter Crazed, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Critter Crazed

Critter Crazed Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead

Jun 22, 2009
    I have 6 chicks that are about 4 weeks old now. They are on medicated chick starter and I noticed there is quite a bit of bloody poop in the brooder. No other symptoms. I bought tetracycline.

I'm confused on the dosage though.
    My waterer is one quart. Can anyone tell me how much I should put in the water? And for how long?

Thanks. [​IMG]

2. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    If you have medicated feed, then why are you trying to medicate further?

3. Critter Crazed

Critter Crazed Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead

Jun 22, 2009
    There is a lot of blood in the poo. I started seeing this maybe a week ago and the poo keeps getting bloodier and bloodier. I was told there is a chance they can get cocci with medicated feed. Plus I bought two chicks from a swap when they were 2 weeks old. They might not of had medicated feed when younger. So I figured I would medicate and get this blood cleared out before anyone starts getting sick

4. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I'm certainly no expert, but I think I read to give them Corid (amprolium) for coci. The dosage for chicks is 3/4 to 1 1/2 tsp per quart for 7 days. When mine were about 2 wks old I noticed a little blood in some poop so I bought this at our local feed store and gave it to them. The problem cleared up. Mine are also on medicated feed - this is just a higher concentration of the medication in the feed, so I used the lower dosage of 3/4 tsp.

Good luck, others may have more expert advice - I've only been doing this for a year, 2nd batch of chicks. The others never had any bloody poop.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Tetracycline does not treat cocci. You need an anti-protozoan, not an antibiotic. Corid is best, but if you can't get that, get Sulmet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by