Tetracycline dosage for chicks?

Critter Crazed

Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead
10 Years
Jun 22, 2009
I have 6 chicks that are about 4 weeks old now. They are on medicated chick starter and I noticed there is quite a bit of bloody poop in the brooder. No other symptoms. I bought tetracycline.

I'm confused on the dosage though.
My waterer is one quart. Can anyone tell me how much I should put in the water? And for how long?

Thanks.
smile.png

There is a lot of blood in the poo. I started seeing this maybe a week ago and the poo keeps getting bloodier and bloodier. I was told there is a chance they can get cocci with medicated feed. Plus I bought two chicks from a swap when they were 2 weeks old. They might not of had medicated feed when younger. So I figured I would medicate and get this blood cleared out before anyone starts getting sick

I'm certainly no expert, but I think I read to give them Corid (amprolium) for coci. The dosage for chicks is 3/4 to 1 1/2 tsp per quart for 7 days. When mine were about 2 wks old I noticed a little blood in some poop so I bought this at our local feed store and gave it to them. The problem cleared up. Mine are also on medicated feed - this is just a higher concentration of the medication in the feed, so I used the lower dosage of 3/4 tsp.

Good luck, others may have more expert advice - I've only been doing this for a year, 2nd batch of chicks. The others never had any bloody poop.

Back
Top Bottom