Texas A&M Coturnix Quail question

Quote:
OOOh sorry my tone was a little nippy there ...

seriously though I was told to remove vent sexing pictures on another U.S forum as they were too graphic and causing to much upset
hmm.png
... so now I try to play it safe.

Quote:
OOOh sorry my tone was a little nippy there ...

seriously though I was told to remove vent sexing pictures on another U.S forum as they were too graphic and causing to much upset
hmm.png
... so now I try to play it safe.

That's goofy! I've shown quail butts on here, and quail foam so far. I was considering showing how to collect from a roo coturnix, but my hubby would have to help and he'd be gagging that I was playing around with an area that poop comes out of
lau.gif
That forum is silly... now collecting from mammals is gross (IMO) and graphic (imo) but bird butts? Those dont bother me a bit. I'm sorry you were treated wrongly on another forum esp when it would have been a pretty good educational post im sure!
hugs.gif

There seems to be a lot of debate as to whether or not coturnix and bobwhite can be bred successfully. I have several coturnix, (pharoah, tibetan, A&M, rosetta, ect) and am getting 4 bobwhite hens this weekend. I am going to try my luck at breeding them and see what happens. I won't hold my breath but it would be interesting to see what comes of the mix.

So did i miss the update? Lol would love to hear about crosses. Just out of curiousity :) i would love to read about (ahem, pics! Lol) the crosses. I cant imagine what a coturnix--chicken would look like! Are any crosses viable?

My neighbor has been breeding them (Texas A&M and bobwhite) together for years now. I guess I should tell him it is not possible

Last edited:
L
My neighbor has been breeding them (Texas A&M and bobwhite) together for years now. I guess I should tell him it is not possible

Lets see the proof. Lots of people claim theyve done it but there isnt a single photo anywhere on the web to back it up. Youd think if it was that easy or common that at least one of the hundred or so people ive seen talk about it on here would have accomplished it and been proud to show everyone.

X2 Been around a while and have seen it tried a dozen times or more. One of the hatcheries even advertised "BOB BIRDS" for a short period of time. I personally feel the cross would be abomination, nothing good would be accomplished. Like pee'n in the church lawn or kiss'n your sister on the mouth.... Somethings should just not be done IMHO....

Last edited:
Nope. The A&M's are pure Coturnix. I keep both species, and the white ones are more akin to albinos. The white meat is an extension of the trait. Bob Whites are not white in color at all, only their eggs are. If you breed a typical Coturnix with a Texas A&M variety, you get incomplete dominance in the color (a few big white areas on the regular color, or opposite like the patterns of a Holstein cow). Also... we keep all three varieties of Quail together, and VERY rarely to any of the three types mix. I don't know if they just don't breed easily or if it is a behavior based unlikelihood, but when we put all of today's eggs in an incubator, all but maybe one will be a purebreed, and maybe one will be a hybrid.

I once talked to Dr Thornberry myself (must have been 20 yrs ago) about my rabbits that I had at the time. He was very nice to speak to me personally. He must of been (or maybe he still is) a very good guy.

Does anyone know what crosses of coturnix made my blue coturnix, which is called the silver line..
I've been raising browns, golden,a and m, tuxedo, and cinnamon for a yr and now I came across these and got some.there is a tuxedo blue, all blue and brown like with a little blue color on wing

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom