Texas and ducks

Hi, so I've had chickens for a while and want to add two ducks to my little backyard farm. I'm living in texas so the summer heat can get up in to the low 100s. I'm wondering what friendly and quiet breeds would be able to handle those temperatures?
I have most common duck breeds and they all handle it surprisingly well. As long as they have access to shade and water they should be fine.

San Antonio here!

I have 3 muscovies, 3 runners and a Rouen. Look at the clock! I've had them for 2 summers and they tend to either swim a lot or chill under the lantana bushes and trees. As long as my kiddos have several water stations to drink from and shaded areas to hang out in, they are fine. They will pant, but that is natural. They are like dogs in this regard.

I've never lost a duck to the heat, or had one get sick. Though I've fretted over them, they always seem to look at me like I am the crazy one.

We are about to build out in the country and the first item of business is to establish several bush stations along the pond and yard for summer escapes. They love hunkering down in the shade.

I had only one duck with heat cramps after a 100+ day here in West Virginia:
full

Gave her a bath in successively colder water and she recovered quickly. She also had a severe case of bumble-foot at that time and the infection may had contributed to her over-heating. Usually ducks are fine in hot weather as long as they have enough water.
Muscovy ducks as South/Central-American natives may be able to deal with really hot temperatures (>110F) even better.

Back
Top Bottom