Texas chicken owners - we need your help!

So today I called the office of my state senator, was redirected to her capital phone number, and spent some time chatting with a staffer. He said that the session had ended - and the next one doesn't start until 2021! Oy. He said possibly if it was running out of time they might have tacked it onto another bill as an amendment, that can happen to get things through, otherwise it would have gone away with the end of the session and would need to get set up again next time. He said the senator for district 2, Bob Hall, is the one who had originated it. I wrote an email to him, asking if it had gone through as an amendment, and if not, urging him to reintroduce it at the beginning of the next session - apparently you can start putting them in during Nov. 2020. And I thanked him for writing it.
https://senate.texas.gov/member.php?d=2 here's his page, if you would also like to write to him there's a form for it.
I think this is the same thing that happened last year.:(

I just sent him a message about it. I'm super bummed my city only allows for two hens. While i'm technically not in his district, my house is 1000 feet from where it begins.

Hopefully we can get it pushed through next session.

Fortunately for us we will be moving to the back corner of family land where we can have as many chickens and rabbits as we care to feed. But I will contact our local representatives in an effort to support our city bound friends. I prey this goes through and that more people start getting involved with changing the existing deed restrictions and city ordinances.

The new session starts this January and now is the time to build support for small bills like this. Is anyone interested in a little mini campaign to encourage bill reintroduction? If we wait until January, they’ll be too focused on budget appropriations and covid response. I’m willing to help make phone calls

First, we organize a group and determine what we are willing to do. Is it A letter /phone campaign, or would we be willing to do more and meet with reps in their office? That will determine our scale. Then we identify a bill “champion”, likely the state rep or senator that introduced it previously. If they agree to reintroduce it, we would identify a companion champion in the other house. we would need to identify which committees it would be assigned to, and then start hitting their offices with emails or calls or visits to get those committee members convinced that enough people care about this issue for it to move forward. Then about 20 more steps after that, but that’s the start.

I did some digging. State Senator Bob Hall introduced SB86 in the 2019 session. It actually did REALLY well. It was introduced, passed committee and passed 29-2 in the full Senate. It was championed in the house by State Rep. James White and passed out of committee in the House and stalled there.

SB 86: https://legiscan.com/TX/text/SB86/2019
HB 2596: https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/86R/billtext/html/HB02596I.htm

The first step would be to contact Senator Hall (Edgewood, East of Dallas) and Rep. White (Houston) and ask them to introduce the bills again). Hall is up for re-election in 2022 and White is up for re-election this November.

Why can’t they just make it across the board and include existing HOA’s? That’s like saying “new cities only”!
HOAs are forever. Every property owner within the HOA agreed to the terms when purchasing.

What you can do is change your HOA rules. Any HOA rule can be changed. The process will be detailed in the original CC&R as well as the Texas state law chapter 209 - Texas Residential Property Owners Protection Act. It's not easy but not impossible. Can you gather a majority of owners to support you?

Back
Top Bottom