Texas chicken owners - we need your help!

We Need the help of all Texans to call their Senator and ask for their support of the HB 1686. See below for info on the bill and how to contact your Senator. Please help those of us who are fighting their HOA and City Municipalities.

HB 1686, the Home Food Security Act, has passed the Texas House by a vote of 143-1! Now the Senate must pass the bill for it to be sent to the Governor to become law!

HB 1686 says that municipalities and HOA’s can’t prohibit you from having up to 6 laying hens, 6 rabbits, (with no more than a total of 8 ) or a front yard garden. It also says that HOA’s can’t prohibit your cottage food operation. Reasonable regulations for noise and odor control are part of this bill – and no roosters.

We all saw the breakdowns in the food supply chain this past year. COVID. Meat-packing plants shut down. The Great Freeze in February with empty grocery shelves and lines out the doors. We can increase our food security if we can produce food for our families on land that we already own.
CALL:
Find out who your Texas State Senator is by entering your address at this link:
https://wrm.capitol.texas.gov/home
Click on the name that is “Texas Senate District XX”. Their phone number starts with 512-463-XXXX.
OR you can just call the Capitol Switchboard at 512-463-4630 and give the operator your address and ask to be connected to your Senator.
(Don’t call Ted Cruz or John Cornyn, they are our US Senators and can’t help with this!)
Call that number above, and when the staff person answers the phone, say: “Hi, my name is _____ and I am a constituent. I am c
alling to ask Senator ____ to vote YES on HB 1686. It has already passed the House.

You can add a sentence or two about why the bill is important to you: be concise. This is the busiest time of session, so shorter is better!

Read the bill (click the Text tab, choose House Committee Report):
https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/History.aspx…

We Need the help of all Texans to call their Senator and ask for their support of the HB 1686. See below for info on the bill and how to contact your Senator. Please help those of us who are fighting their HOA and City Municipalities.

HB 1686, the Home Food Security Act, has passed the Texas House by a vote of 143-1! Now the Senate must pass the bill for it to be sent to the Governor to become law!

HB 1686 says that municipalities and HOA’s can’t prohibit you from having up to 6 laying hens, 6 rabbits, (with no more than a total of 8 ) or a front yard garden. It also says that HOA’s can’t prohibit your cottage food operation. Reasonable regulations for noise and odor control are part of this bill – and no roosters.

We all saw the breakdowns in the food supply chain this past year. COVID. Meat-packing plants shut down. The Great Freeze in February with empty grocery shelves and lines out the doors. We can increase our food security if we can produce food for our families on land that we already own.
CALL:
Find out who your Texas State Senator is by entering your address at this link:
https://wrm.capitol.texas.gov/home
Click on the name that is “Texas Senate District XX”. Their phone number starts with 512-463-XXXX.
OR you can just call the Capitol Switchboard at 512-463-4630 and give the operator your address and ask to be connected to your Senator.
(Don’t call Ted Cruz or John Cornyn, they are our US Senators and can’t help with this!)
Call that number above, and when the staff person answers the phone, say: “Hi, my name is _____ and I am a constituent. I am c
alling to ask Senator ____ to vote YES on HB 1686. It has already passed the House.

You can add a sentence or two about why the bill is important to you: be concise. This is the busiest time of session, so shorter is better!

Read the bill (click the Text tab, choose House Committee Report):
https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/History.aspx…
We need more people to call Senator Bettencourt. This may be our last opportunity!

Back
Top Bottom