Texas Hay!

keithallen1965

Songster
10 Years
Aug 17, 2009
conroe
I am looking for Coastal/bermuda hay for sale to be picked up in the field. Within 4 drive time from Dallas,TX
cool.png

Keith

PS about 2-300 hundred bales

Good luck with that. I haven't seen a hayfield cut in Central Texas since about April. I can't imagine what the drought has done to hay prices. I hope you are able to find some, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

It's out there, it is just not cheap. We baled our hay mid July and had literally about a dozen offers to buy it in the week it set in the pasture before we took it to our storage site (along with several phone calls and people stopping to ask to bale it before it was cut...one lady was going to "do us a favor" by cutting it and hauling it off free of charge because it is a fire hazard lol). We got exactly half as many bales as last year.

We are looking too. The big ranch we usually get hay from went from $6 a bale to $8 a bale in 2 weeks, that is horse quality. Ask how much it is now and was told they are not selling any more hay this year!!!!!!!!! Feed store has drought cubes for cows and is getting some in for horses. So glad our 2 guys are easy keepers they only get 2 pads a hay apiece a day, but there is usually something in the pasture to eat right now the only thing in the pastures them and dirt

What no hay in Texas? Surely y'all have all the hay available because I see trucks loaded down with round bales headed to Texas daily.

It's gonna be a hard, hard winter for some folks.
sad.png
I wish y'all well.
hugs.gif

Yeah the only hay in Texas is coming from the north. There's a few Texas bales but the ones I've seen are crappy, not even fit for cattle at 100 a bale. Just crazy. There are some that are taking advantage and really hiking the prices. A good horse quality rd bale is 130 and up. It's going to be a rough one. I'm already sending some lambs to the processor, keeper ewes too. Just have to keep the numbers down for awhile.

Last edited:
Sorry y'all are being forced into the position of reducing your numbers. There's really not that much hay available around here to be shipped anywhere. The neighbor that leases our pastures told me that they ended up with only one cutting this summer. They have resorted to feeding chicken house litter a few months early.

I think I am going to attempt to get a few bales at the feed store today, I need it for the nestboxes, before it's all gone.

Last edited:
Quote:
Now that cracks me up!!
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Did she think y'all were growing it on accident and would be glad to get rid of it?

That has got to be the most rediculous thing I have ever heard in my life! I've got all my co-workers cracking up over that one...we're in Texas and every one of us needs hay bad.
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Gahh that's hysterical.... I seriously cannot stop laughin!

We just hauled off some more older cows and some of our spring calves today to the sale. Normally none of these would be going to auction till next spring...and the cows not even then, but with the feed situation this year, we're just trying to hang on to the best of our cows and not have to sell out completely.

Unfortunately, here in Texas, they are predicting the drought to last 2-3 YEARS. It is so dry now that I can't imagine what a couple more years would look like.

Places that have had water the entire 17 years I've lived here are dry this year. No one has water in their tanks, and yesterday I drove by a spring fed creek and there were about 7-8 herons in a 30 foot diameter pond. It's bad out there!

Back
Top Bottom